*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hi. Just bought a MK1 camper. New to forum

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Hi. Just bought a MK1 camper. New to forum

Postby bhpdub » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Hello

Just joined after buying a 1975 (I think!) Mk1 Transit camper.

Plenty of experience restoring Dubs, but not too much with Ford vans... In fact, pretty much none! :D

I'll no doubt be asking a few questions along the way... Mainly parts/panel supply details.

Cheers
Andy
Nottinghamshire
bhpdub

Re: Hi. Just bought a MK1 camper. New to forum

Postby Luke » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 pm

what style is it? a coachbulit or a van conversion? :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Ralph.9 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:05 am

Hi Andy, I have most parts that you will need.
Ralph
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bhpdub » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks Guys

It's a van, with a high top (Fibre glass, fixed roof) and aluminium side windows fitted... Looking at them a fair old time ago I'd say?

Ideally, I'd like to do away with the high top, and fit a pop top, but looking at the van, when the hightop was fitted, nearly all of the roof section has been cut out.
So, really, it would mean putting a new roof section in the van, maybe a cut just below the gutter line?

Two things come to mind with that work.
Firstly, it would be a pretty difficult task to do the chop on my van, and graft on a new roof section from a donor van (not impossible, but a fair bit of work)
Secondly, I think because these vans have a healthy following, getting the roof chop from another van may be a difficult part to source?

It's got barn style (two opening rear doors) and still has the V4 2000 petrol engine, which had a new weber carb fitted last year.

The last owner had it for 27 years, and used it purely as an occasional, family camper van.

It's got a pretty cool, front bench style seat, which fully reclines to form part of a large bed.
Two single rear seats, either side of the isle, also form part of the bed base, with a board/table in between for the bed cushions to sit on. (I think these are upgrades from what looks like either a Autosleeper camper, or a Richard Holdsworth .....Probably Talbot Express)

There are also two roll out hammock/bunks on either side in the roof space, but these would really only be suitable for children.

It's on an "N" Registration, I believe it's a 1975 model, but without looking on the V5, I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head.

Its going to need a few panels before we prep and paint it... (Ralph! :D )
These are
Both front door skins
Both rear arch's
Both outer sills/lower side body section (between the wheels)
Both rear gutter corners (unless I can find a full roof cut to replace the current high top set up)
Both front steps
It will require some welding work around the hinges on one of the rear doors, nothing that we can't sort.
Passenger side rear quarter bumper (good chrome on mine, but a little twisted, I may be able to fix it and get it rechromed?)
One "Ford stars" centre cap is missing from a hub cap (Full face stainless style, as per Rover P6, Volkswagen T2 and a few other 70's vehicles)
"Custom" front wing badges are also missing

After driving it a little... at 20-25mph, it's plain that it's going to need a diff rebuild as well.

It's finished in Grey... I'm not sure if it's Dove grey, or Cargo grey? ... Plenty of evidence that it started life as a white van though, and the V5 has been altered to suite, as it's listed as Grey/White (Grey body, white fibreglass fixed high top)

That's about it really... I'd post some pics, but I'm guessing this forum is suffering from a similar fate to one or two other forums that I'm a member of... Effected by Photobucket starting to charge for pic storage?

If it's not, then I'll take some pics and load when I can.

Thanks for the welcome, and your interest in the van.

I'll update as and when! :D

Cheers.
bhpdub

Postby Ralph.9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:09 am

Hi Andy, I did a roof change on mine removing the high top. If you still have gutters just fit the roof skin. I have just broken a camper with pop top so if another one comes I will let you know. I have most of the parts on your list. My email is ralphmk1@hotmail.co.uk.
Ralph
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bhpdub » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks Ralph.
Good advice!
Do you have a full roof panel by chance?
Cheers
Andy
bhpdub

Postby Ralph.9 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:06 am

Hi Andy, not at the moment but if one comes in I will let you know. I can email some pictures of swapping my roof if it will help?
Ralph
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 1 & 2