*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

V4 cologne engine trouble - worn camshaft or...?

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: V4 cologne engine trouble - worn camshaft or...?

Postby bulls in transit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Wouldn't all fit in previous post..
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FordMk1Transit » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:49 pm

Quick reply:
Thanks DougT & Bulls in Transit for the helpful replies, exactly what I needed.

Got everything back together, need to fill with oil & coolant and set the valve clearances tomorrow and will be ready to test if she comes back to life.

By the way: fiddled with the distributor a bit. It needed to be aligned so that it dropped fully down on the hex-oil pump shaft and cam gear. and this in a way so the rotor was more or less in the correct position.. Got it in the end.

I didn't see any dots on the anchor-plate to align the rotor with, but did see a groove in the foot of the distributor. (Used a marker to put a dot on the anchor-plate. Easier to see.)
Aligned timing marks on balance shaft pulley with the 6degrees mark on the front cover. (put it in that position when I still had the heads off, to be sure it's indeed TDC on cil1)

Rotor now points to the groove in the distributor foot & this is where the nr1 spark plug lead goes. Hope I did that right. As long as it starts, can fine tune with timing light later.
FordMk1Transit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bulls in transit » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:07 am

Nice one
Hope you read this in time,re read manual to be sure about rocker position with oilway,quote:-
The rocker arm shaft support with the oil outlet hole must be on the right hand engine side be installed at the rear and on the left hand engine at front.
I'm 100% sure mine are now fitted as this manual text( which was a reversal of how they came) with improved oil flow visually,this contradicts what I posted before,apologies,
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bulls in transit » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:59 pm

To be sure I'm sure........Image
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FordMk1Transit » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Finally got round to writing the ending of this little success story..

First of all: thanks Bulls and Doug, could not have done this without your info.
@Bulls: the picture in the last post, what was it that I needed to see in that picture? BTW: I did double check the oil-channel thing on the head/rocker assembly, made sure I put it all in correctly.

So, managed to get everything back together. Was a bit worried if I had put the distributor in correctly, but after priming the oilpump (unplugged coil) for a bit the engine started right up, first attempt and was running smooth and with good oil pressure. I kept it at 2000+ rpm for about 15minutes to make sure oil was everywhere where it needed to be. Everything sounded perfect, engine temperature was perfect.

With a now warm engine I fine-tuned the ignition timing.

After this the first test drive: Running better than ever, pulls strong (for a 55hp V4).

Did a longer test run the day after and after approx 200km's I changed the oil + filter and put new coolant in.

Engine now also has hardened valve seats, so no more lead-replacement additives needed. All in all quite pleased. 8)
FordMk1Transit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bulls in transit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 am

Brilliant,success has its own rewards,
Posted photo to show correct position for rocker support with oilway,if you look closely at no4(rear) rockers you can see the oilway built into support that feeds oil from block into rocker assembly between rockers,the front support has no oilway and is just a solid support.
Fitted as per pic(and manual text) the oilflow to rockers etc visiably improved.
If they are assembled as per manual assembly diagram without reading text these post positions are reversed when you come to bolt assembly up to head,effectively restricting top end lubrication(especially to cylinders 1/4,the ones that had failed valve seats on mine).
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FordMk1Transit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:48 am

Yes, took great care when fitting the head and rocker assembly to make sure it was all fitted as it should be and no oil channels would be blocked. Will do the visual check when I retorque the head bolts in a little while.

I've looked, and looked and looked at your picture to see if I missed something.. but I'm quite sure you posted the wrong picture? What I see is a closeup of your carb, not a picture of rocker assembly.
FordMk1Transit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bulls in transit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Photos the right one,took r/h rocker cover off to take it.
In photo you'll see the oilway support under throttle cable top right hand of pic(between tappet adj on rear cyl),but no oilway on front support
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DougT » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:09 pm

I think we may be seeing only the left side of the photo for some strange reason. Bulls, you may be seeing the whole photo as you posted it, but what I see has the carb at the right edge of the photo.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FordMk1Transit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:13 pm

That gave me an idea: If you right click the image you have the option to open the image in a new tab.
When I did that I did see the full image. Now we know what went wrong :-)
FordMk1Transit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bulls in transit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Sorry about that,being shown full image as I posted on tablet through app this end
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FordMk1Transit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 am

No worries, posts are much appreciated :-)
FordMk1Transit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby robbie.cee » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:25 am

Had a steel timing gear in my essex v6 as insurance and was noisy as hell first run but upon startup next time had bedded in and was silent!!
Fyi!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2