*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mark 1 camper repower 1971 duel wheel

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Mark 1 camper repower 1971 duel wheel

Postby gbing » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 am

Hi guys , new B here Gary , from New zealand , , i am re powering my camper ,
I am looking for a hi ratio diff 3.45 or 3.5 close to it ,
new motor has heaps of power , so no worry's with the high gearing ,
will post progress as we get going on the job , but first need to find the diff
any help please
cheers
gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gbing

Re: Mark 1 camper repower 1971 duel wheel

Postby conrod » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi Gary,
oh if only there was a taller ratio than 4.63 available! Unfortunately, there is nothing taller than that for your rear axle. Which leaves a couple of options. Change to a single wheel rear end; some later Falcon ute diffs are about the right width. If you want to retain the dual rear wheels you will have to cut the centre out and fit a Falcon BW or 9 inch centre to the Transit axle tubes, and get a pair of custom shafts made. Another option I am exploring is fitting a Mk7 rear axle. It is only about 50mm wider than the Mk1/mk2 axle, and can be had with ratios up to 3.3 if I recall. But you will struggle to find the taller ratios in NZ, and probably have to import one from the UK . Also, you will need to fit the 16"wheels from tne Mk7, to clear the disc brakes, and because the stud pattern is different. There's a couple of options for you to consider, unfortunately none of them are super easy! I have a Mk2 with Supercharged V6 fitted, and am facing a similar dilemna! :D

Your camper should go well with the XR6 engine in it!

Conrad
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gbing » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:51 am

Hi Conrad, thanks for all the useful info. I have found a possible solution to the final drive dalemna we both have all but at a substantial price I do,nt know if I can handle. The advantage of fix is basically an 8 speed trani.This being an over/ under drive by a yanki company Gear Venders they look like they would have just what I / we would need for a great solution. Bolt on and only require ring a shorter prop shaft & the addition of a cross member. Cheers Gary.
gbing

Postby conrod » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:11 am

Hi Gary, yes I have seen the gear vendors O/D transmissions. I think the overdrive is 25%, which puts it in the ballpark (assuming you already have the 4.6 ratio diff) But the price from memory was US$3 or 4K? Then you need to get it here etc. Making it a very expensive proposition. I think a 9 inch conversion on your existing axle would be cheaper. Friend of mine actually made one similar to the gear vendors piece by chopping up an old overdrive transmission from a Triumph or Jag. Cast a new nose piece for it, made a splined input flange and fitted it into his 1927 Dodge! Only cost about $1000 or so to do.

Conrad
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 am

the other ting I don't like about the O/D kit, is that you still have to manually engage and disengage it (okay it is just a switch) and that is a bit of a pain when you have an automatic I think.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gbing » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:02 am

Hi Conrad, yes I agree the 9" diff. Conversion looks like the best option.Do you know if I can specifie the ratio I require when getting this done, also recommend a company that could carry this job out for me. This is all new to me. Cheers Gary.
gbing

Postby conrod » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:38 am

The 9" was available with ratios from about 2.5:1 to 7.4:1, and everything in between! If I go that route I was going to get a new one built in the US with an LSD, they are not that expensive. (about US$1500 from memory for the centre section) I was going to use a new pressed steel centre housing, you can buy them from Summit and the like:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

And the other part is custom axle shafts, which I will probably get made locally. If I go that way I will build a jig and get our fabricator where I work to weld it up.

There are many engineering places around NZ who do this type of work. Whereabouts are you located?

P.S 3.5 LSD on TM for $1099 at the moment!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 211954.htm
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gbing » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks for all the info Conrad, summit diff head LSD looks like the go then maybe get nz outfit to put the hole thing together,bit of work to do before getting to this point so no rush. I,be seen your van in westside,look cool, its a good kiwi show.
gbing

Postby conrod » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:44 am

I will post up some pics if I go the nine inch route.

Yep loving Westside too, it has been a fun programme to be involved in! Good thing the art director has soft spot for Transits, they have used 3 of my vans in the series so far! :)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 1 & 2