*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.0 Pinto rebuild

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

2.0 Pinto rebuild

Postby 1977Camper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:09 am

Morning all,

Looking at rebuilding the engine in order to use the camper overland again after several years with little use. The engine starts with a bit of white smoke but otherwise idles and pulls fine.

It's more a matter of sorting things that may be OK on short runs but would suffer on longer hauls, up long hills. I'm thinking piston rings, check valves..

What should I look at replacing as a starting point?

Are there any ways to boost torque without affecting reliability?

I'm wary about doing it all as I've done previous restorations where new parts failed immediately!

Finally, where do you find parts from, as I'm really struggling to find anything, which I'm surprised at given the popularity of the Capri & Sierra.

I'm in Malta but usually source parts in the UK and have them sent over, even big heavy parts.

Thanks
1977Camper
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2.0 Pinto rebuild

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Try and source a cylinder head from a very late injection Sierra or Granada as they were fitted with unleaded inserts for the valves as standard, they also flow better than a standard head.

Otherwise if the bottom end seems good I wouldn't mess with it.

An overdrive or 5 speed gearbox will help keep revs down when cruising at speed. You may as well replace the clutch plate at the same time.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: 2.0 Pinto rebuild

Postby 1977Camper » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 am

DodgeRover wrote:Try and source a cylinder head from a very late injection Sierra or Granada as they were fitted with unleaded inserts for the valves as standard, they also flow better than a standard head.

Otherwise if the bottom end seems good I wouldn't mess with it.

An overdrive or 5 speed gearbox will help keep revs down when cruising at speed. You may as well replace the clutch plate at the same time.

Thanks mate. My dad had fitted a 5-speed then removed it as it couldn't keep up speed in 5th except on a downhill and 4th was slower too. Overdrive sounds like an idea, it makes a massive difference on my Spitfire. Any idea what options there are for this?

Thanks
1977Camper
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 1 & 2