*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Pinto, a classic?

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Pinto, a classic?

Postby simplyshaker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 am

Hello all, I'm working through the things to do list on my recently purchased Mk2 pick-up. First on the list is the obvious oil and filter change. The oil specified for the Pinto 2.0 is between 10w30 and 20w50, but here is my problem. I'd like to put in some 10w40 oil because of the very low temperatures we have here (often -15 or lower) but the Castrol classic oil that I use in some of my older cars is 20w50. The engine is from 1979, should I bother treating it as a classic? I thought about putting in some ordinary 10w40 Castrol GTX semi synthetique oil. I have no idea what oil was used before. Any thoughts or experiences on this matter?

Chris.

PS:- Tried doing a search for this but you can imagine what comes up when asking 'engine oil' :(

PPS:- I only use Castrol to limit the amount of half full or nearly empty oil cans that I used to have lying around if you know what I mean.
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Pinto, a classic?

Postby Muttley » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:53 pm

The Pinto used 20/50 oil when it was new, no worries using that grade now. I do in all my Pintos and have never had any problems in any temperatures.
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Postby simplyshaker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 pm

Thanks for the reply. In your opinion, the Castrol classic 20w50 would be a suitable choice then for my van? The temperature at the moment goes down to minus 7 in the morning and can easily go lower throughout the winter season. I had also considered the semi synthetic 10w40 GTX but I was wondering if any users had noticed any difference after using a more "modern" oil in a Pinto.
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Muttley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Sounds all good to me, it can get pretty cold here too and no problems with 20/50
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Return to Mk 1 & 2