*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK1 auto to manual conversion

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: MK1 auto to manual conversion

Postby DougT » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:16 pm

With the height of the suspension, lots of things could have happened. It may be the original leaf springs jacked up or something entirely different from a different vehicle. But as you say, the priority is to get it going reasonably well.

Again I know it sounds silly but have you checked that the brakes are releasing properly ? They would get hot if that was the case therefore you would smell them so I think it is unlikely but it would only take a little drag to hold everything back. Just an idea. You have had the engine out so I presume that has been checked and is giving the proper power and if so then something is robbing you of the power and causing excess fuel consumption. Just trying to think of what else before you go into changing lots of things.

Having seen the driving area, it looks as though the engine cover has taken space from the accelerator side of the pedals so that maybe the reason for changing from the original pedal box. My thought was that a mk1/mk2 pedal box with the clutch pedal would be the easiest to fit but looking at it now than the orginal type may no longer fit. In which case any pedal box with a clutch pedal will mean it is offset to the left more than you might like.

And I understand the lack of heater as it should go where the engine cover has been made. But I think for a 1966/67 there should be some air vents on the top suface of the dash. From what I can see it is possible that they could be covered over so if you want to move the air around then have a look from underneath the dash. If there are vents then you could connect up some sort of fan.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:32 pm

MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ralph.9 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:29 am

I have MK1 & MK2 pedal box assemblies?
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 am

you have no heater because the engine swap has taken all the room up hence the flat front and not a bullnose,,, fitting a bullnose lets the engine go further forward and you can squeeze a heater in too ,,,,, check your pedals as on jobs like this they get altered / shortened due to side space and a full box may not go in
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Neil » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:30 am

nice wheels,,, what are they
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Viviacolombia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Neil wrote:nice wheels,,, what are they
I don't know to be honest. Were already on when I bought it.

Ralph.9 wrote:I have MK1 & MK2 pedal box assemblies?

Thanks but as an original assembly probably won't fit I'm not looking for one anymore.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll check the brakes. I decided not to spent too much time on trying to revive the C3 autobox. I'm now looking for the parts necessary for the conversion.
Viviacolombia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Viviacolombia » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Check today revealed that front are disc brakes.
Viviacolombia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Johny89 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:25 am

Sorry to Hijack this thread but would a m5od fit a York? Have one lying in my backyard from a 4.9inline car.
Johny89
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Viviacolombia » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Johny89 wrote:Sorry to Hijack this thread but would a m5od fit a York? Have one lying in my backyard from a 4.9inline car.
Haven't been online for a while. I really don't have a clue since I only did research on the 2.8/2.9 cologne engines. M5od were fitted a variety of different engines so maybe be difficult to tell without knowing where the transmission came from.

On my own project, I haven't found a transmission yet. So the project is in hold while I keep looking...
Viviacolombia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2