*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Warm front brake

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Warm front brake

Postby greek » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:57 pm

Hi guys long time since last log in. Mk1 Miss Piggy fine & well engine been reconned since last on. My problem new brakes shoes all round new wheel cylinders the same but front nearside getting very warm balance ok breaking straight line but thinking maybe week return springs cylinders all free . So been looking but cannot find any as we speak maybe Ralph could help or anyone with info on where we could find some. T.I.A Kenny
I`m to old to lie under Transits
greek
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Warm front brake

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:23 pm

are they binding? sometimes the flexi hose breaks down inside and the inner lining peels off causing a sort of one way valve, as you pressure the fluid the brake stays on for a while :idea:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Mr twin choke » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:23 pm

I had a similar issue with the rear on mine and it was indeed the flexi hose causing it. The only way to know for certain is to jack it up when it's warm and turn the wheel to feel if it is binding. If hydraulic pressure is causing it, slacken the bleed screw just a little bit on the wheel cylinder (or caliper for disc brakes) to release the pressure and it will spin freely. If it makes no difference it's something else causing it. Remember to tighten up the bleed screw again though. It's good practice to replace all the flexi hoses on anything this old anyway. A new master cylinder is also a good idea too if budget allows as age takes it's toll on that too.
Mr twin choke
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Ralph.9 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:37 am

I have most new brake return springs, what year & model is your MK1?
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby greek » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:20 pm

Thanks Chaps already tried bleed nipple thing & it has a new master cylinder but flexi brake pipe might be it only one iVe not renewed, but will still give springs a chance+ change the flexi. Thanks again pm,d you Ralph
greek
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby greek » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:20 pm

Bit since i posted but thanks Luke new flexi hose solved problem
greek
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 1 & 2