*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My 'rusty' red Mk1

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

My 'rusty' red Mk1

Postby JustTrying » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:33 pm

Hello. My first post here so hopefully no issues.
Picked up this camper yesterday and had a chance today to have a closer look.
It is a 1973 camper van and from the model appears to have always been a camper (windowed van?).
I bought this mk1 at auction so never met the last owner. It hasn't been cared for.
I am in two minds to put on hold and maybe use it as a donor. I think every panel is rotten. And no exaggeration.
But it does start, runs and drives.
PriorToPickup.jpg

The rear windows are missing and were replaced with hardboard that has let water in. I would guess the van has been stored outside and on grass/hardcore.
Here is a picture of the petrol filler cap removed.
FillerCap.JPG

The inside is damp and floor soaking. Today took inside workshop and dried out. Patched up the rear windows better to seal water out. When parked outside again (raining) the front floor was wet again.
Water running down the inside of the scuttle. I think this down to poor repairs.

I think this is going to be a looooonnnngggg project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: My 'rusty' red Mk1

Postby Neil » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:23 am

yes it is
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: My 'rusty' red Mk1

Postby JustTrying » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:40 pm

Only had a bit of time to look at the water ingress. There are some pictures below.
This is the vent grill removed. Shows the rain deflector.
01_VentGrill.JPG

There was a small bit of dirt and debris in the vent inlet but not a great deal.

I have taken a picture down the vent on the drivers side.
02_DrvrSideVent.JPG

The white coating looks like a fibreglass repair paste of some kind.
I took a picture of the drain on the nearside of the vent (shown by arrow 1 in the first picture).
03_DrainToEngComp.JPG

And the drain outlet in engine comp.
04_DrainOutlet.JPG

This drain is clear.
I pushed the camera into the vent to take a picture of the heater air inlet (shown by arrow 2 in the first picture).
05_VentInlet.JPG

I am not totally sure, but it appears that the paste is causing water to run into the heater inlet.
Can anybody help with this? Perhaps have an assembly drawing or a picture of a factory arrangement?
Thanks for any replies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JustTrying
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 1 & 2