*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

transit wont go into gear

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: transit wont go into gear

Postby Neil » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Ken B wrote:More likely the box itself. Mine does similar things. Quite often gets stuck in reverse, you then have to stir the stick until it all drops back in its slots and then you can engage gears again. Also had it stick in neutral and top gear.
They may moan about the Type 9 on here, but it cant be any worse than having to deal with this rubbish German box stuck at lights etc. So the sooner its changed in my case the better.

nothing wrong with a type 9
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madmark » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:57 pm

i must admit i have never had a problem with type 9 myself :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ken B » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:33 pm

nor aint I, but some on here dont seem to rate it. I have two of them to BGH geartech for them to work their magic on soon.
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Vandalism » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:58 am

thanks for the info guys - i agree nothing wrong with a type 9....except you cant fit one to a v4 :( :roll:
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ken B » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 am

oh yes you can.

If you have a German V4 use the bellhousing from a 2.8 V6 type 9. You may have to mess about with clutch arms and thrust bearing spacers possibly, but it should work.
If you have an English V4, Milton Race make an adapator for the T9 which the V4 bell housing should bolt to as well.
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmark » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:31 pm

i treid to fit a type 9 to the german engine but it didnt fit ,all the spigot was wrong and something else but i cant remember what :roll: :roll:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ken B » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Well think man think!!! not that i'm contemplating it. :D

It couldn't have been much stopping it working. Spigots are easily got around. The spigot on the type 9 is 15mm dia, so all you need to do is find a bearing thats suits the V4 crank or make a bush for the bearing to sit in. You didnt have one of those long nose input shaft type9's that need the shaft reducing in length?

Edit
Just thought:
You didnt try and use the german V4 bell housing did you? as that wont work as its too short in length.
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmark » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:01 pm

ken as far as i can remeber ,i used a 2.8 bell,the mainshaft i think was to long and the spigot was difrent ,in the end i gave up and went back to the original box then shortly after conveted to essex power :lol: :lol:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Vandalism » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:13 pm

well ive just bought a 15,000 mile gearbox for the essex v4 so thats sorted...same really as this type 9 business sounds interesting

but i now have another problem with the carb on the cologne engine - the butterfly vaulve dosent oporate properly - dismantled the carb - put it back to gether making sure nothing was broken or missing..but nope....so what replacement carb can/should use as this ones naf and transitmania is comming up soon so i need a quick fix......
german engine=LOADS OF PROBLEMS :roll:
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ken B » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:56 pm

madmark wrote:ken as far as i can remeber ,i used a 2.8 bell,the mainshaft i think was to long and the spigot was difrent ,in the end i gave up and went back to the original box then shortly after conveted to essex power :lol: :lol:

Yea I thought that might be it. As said I'm not doing that route, but think that can be got around if anyone else is doing it. Tbh though I dont think the German V4 has the power to drive a 5th gear on anything other than dead flat, but thats a whole new argument!!

@ Vandalism. I have an issue on starting with the butterfly on my Ford carb. When cold and cranking to start, sometimes it will backfire a little back thru carb and jams the butterfly shut cutting off the air completely. Not quite sure why it does this, but its a bloomin pain. Not sure what carb is an alternative without a manifold change mate.
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmark » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:12 pm

ken you can go for a weber 34ich i did run one on mine in fact i have that carb on my 66 now :wink: :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Vandalism » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:21 pm

madmark wrote:ken you can go for a weber 34ich i did run one on mine in fact i have that carb on my 66 now :wink: :wink:

dose it matter if its for a 1.7 or 2 litre - do the jet sizes differ - because i might buy a webber 34ich and use it on the german engine but then use it on the english engine whe its fitted
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madmark » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:23 pm

mate i think the jets are difrent but not by much ,but on mine putting it on the essex i had to shave some off the side of the carb as it fouls the dizzy :shock: :shock:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Vandalism » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:32 pm

this is a major problem as if i dont get it fixed...no transitmania......if i cant find a 32ich..will any other 1.6/7 - 2 litre carb fit..having trouble finding a 32 ich for less than £160 :(
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby captain hook » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Vandalism wrote:this is a major problem as if i dont get it fixed...no transitmania......if i cant find a 32ich..will any other 1.6/7 - 2 litre carb fit..having trouble finding a 32 ich for less than £160 :(

Then you're looking in the wrong place :wink:

Oh I forgot.......

You only look on e-bay :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 1 & 2