*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Change / Logbook - Legality!?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Engine Change / Logbook - Legality!?

Postby Philbr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi,

Ok so I have just purchased my new lovely MK3.
I want to get it on the road as soon as possible for obvious reasons!
Also my current MK6 runs out just into the new year so I don't want to be renewing anything for that.

She is a 1600 petrol on the logbook, but has been fitted with a banana.
She also has a current valid MOT which was done last month, which I thought was weird as I thought they would of had to do emissions tests etc if I am correct?

My main issue is, as I want to start using her in the next couple of weeks, where do I stand with the legality of the thing.
Obviously I will need to change the logbook to a 2.5 diesel, but will this change the price / class of my tax, and or invalidate any insurance I have previously purchased?
Also, do I need to add the new engine number, or is this not necessary, as I have seen vehicles without engine numbers on logbooks before?

Any help much appreciated!
Thanks.
Philbr
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine Change / Logbook - Legality!?

Postby Philbr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:03 pm

2L petrol.
Not 1600 as I wrote above. (sorry if this may make a difference)
Tax is £245 which is the same as my diesel MK6 so there may not be an issue here?
Philbr
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ricc » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:25 pm

you need to inform your insurance co that the engine has been changed, you dont want to give them an excuse to refuse a claim.
ricc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Back in the change lost count of engines I changed for company I worke for they never informed dvla but that was like for like and the same for rally cars I have built but now the way insurance companies are like I’d tell them and dvla they don’t need any excuses to void a clam and the police don’t need any excuses not to size your vehicle
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DodgeRover » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Dvla will want either an engineers report, a receipt from the garage that did the work or some other crap.
Mines logged as a 1.6 but has the original 2.0 fitted engine number is correct on the logbook. Dvla want me to jump through hoops to get it changed and I refuse just to make up some headed paper as I can guarantee it would backfire on me.

I got stopped a couple of years ago and the police weren't interested at all - although they did laugh when I asked if they could write something out for the DVLA....

As long as your insurers are aware it shouldn't be an issue, the only time it could be a problem is if you are in London as a petrol is exempt from the LEZ charge and a diesel is £100? a day, coming soon in Leeds too.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Philbr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am

Ok thanks for the replies!
I have heard about this engineers report lark. Is that something my local mechanic can do?

I couldn't get insurance quotes for a van with an engine change online which was a shame.
Will have to ring them and hope they don't try and sting me for it!

Also, is it better to go for classic insurance? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again.
Philbr
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby F111ORY » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 pm

When I changed my petrol to diesel the Mot man ( a good friend ) wrote me a letter for my insurance company indicating that I had fitted all the other relevant parts from a diesel donor vehicle.
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Philbr wrote:Ok thanks for the replies!
I have heard about this engineers report lark. Is that something my local mechanic can do?

I couldn't get insurance quotes for a van with an engine change online which was a shame.
Will have to ring them and hope they don't try and sting me for it!

Also, is it better to go for classic insurance? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again.

A Plan are good and they are on the forum here / classic insurance ok if you don't need business use
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Philbr » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:13 am

[/quote]A Plan are good and they are on the forum here / classic insurance ok if you don't need business use[/quote]

Cheers, will check this out!
I had business insurance 2 years ago, but this year it was private as the woman on the phone reckoned there was no difference!?
Philbr
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Philbr » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:14 am

F111ORY wrote:When I changed my petrol to diesel the Mot man ( a good friend ) wrote me a letter for my insurance company indicating that I had fitted all the other relevant parts from a diesel donor vehicle.

Ok thanks. Did the insurance ask for this or did you provide it knowingly anyway?
As I'm sure they would soon get funny and threaten to void the policy etc!?
Philbr
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Islander71 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:27 pm

When I tried to insure my Mk3 camper, neither Direct Line nor Saga would insure because in the past the engine had been changed from petrol to diesel. Got it insured at first through Adrian Flux without difficulty, then subsequently more cheaply through AIB.
Islander71
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby F111ORY » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:14 am

Philbr wrote:
F111ORY wrote:When I changed my petrol to diesel the Mot man ( a good friend ) wrote me a letter for my insurance company indicating that I had fitted all the other relevant parts from a diesel donor vehicle.

Ok thanks. Did the insurance ask for this or did you provide it knowingly anyway?
As I'm sure they would soon get funny and threaten to void the policy etc!?

The insurance company ( NFU ) asked for it.
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Philbr » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Islander71 wrote:When I tried to insure my Mk3 camper, neither Direct Line nor Saga would insure because in the past the engine had been changed from petrol to diesel. Got it insured at first through Adrian Flux without difficulty, then subsequently more cheaply through AIB.

Thanks.
I was thinking about using Adrian Flux but I have never been insured with them before as I am local to them and feel they should offer me better rates than they normally try and charge! Haha.
That's just for my motorbikes though, I have never been quoted by them for 4 wheels.
Philbr
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Philbr » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:24 pm

I stayed with Aviva in the end as even with the change of engine it was still £200 cheaper than my MK6 renewal quote, so was happy enough with that.
They had no problems with it either. When I was asked was it fitted by a qualified garage, I simply answered 'yes' and that seemed to be the answer they were looking for.

Still didn't update on the police system though as managed to get picked up by ANPR :roll:

Time wait for the logbook to come back with the new change.
Hopefully no problems there? :?
Philbr
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits