*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lost keys on mk5

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Lost keys on mk5

Postby s_bastian » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Hallo everybody, I need some advice. I own a 1995 camper mounted on a mk5 transit. Now, my kid lost the whole key pack and I need some advices on how to proceed. I’ve made some researches, I’ve found that I can buy a set of keys+door and ingnition barrels for cheap, still I have some doubts. (if admins need the proofs I’m owning the camper I need to fix, no problem, I can PM them all documents).
- No problem on doors, luckily they were unlocked, and I’ve seen some good tutorial on how to change them, so I’m pretty confident about that.
- Problem one: the fuel cap. In the barrel pack there is also the fuel cap barrel, but the cap is locked. Is there a way to open it without drilling the lock? I would like to avoid the risk of debris in the fuel tank.
- Problem two: the ignition barrel. I don’t remember seeing in my old keys the “red cap” I’ve seen being the transponder for immobilizer. Is there a way to understand if my transit is fit with transponder or not?
- Problem three: the ignition barrel again :) I’ve seen some tutorial on unmounting this, and it looks pretty easy, unless in all tutorials they show you must turn the key to pos.1 to slip the barrel out by pressing on the release hole. Is it mandatory to have the key fitted and rotate it to pos.1 or is it just a way to ease the removal of the barrel (you can grab it by the key).
Many thanks in anticipation for any advice!
s_bastian

Re: Lost keys on mk5

Postby vanfox » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 pm

Most good locksmiths can sort out keys, try one. Worked for me.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby s_bastian » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:10 pm

I would like to keep the cost as low as possible, if there is a chance I can do the work by myself. The a barrel+key set costs about 30 euros, a locksmith, considering that I cannot bring the machine to him, will surely cost MUCH more (in Italy where I live, they charge you average 80 euros just to come out and see the car :(
s_bastian

Postby Stule » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:17 pm

The doors isn't problem you have to take out window guide out and some metal sheets that hold barrels in place and thats it. On ignition you must break barrel because you don't have a key. But because transit have a round shape shitty key you maybe can put key from some other transit and unlock it to take it out. I have done it like that 3 times on 3 transit i unlocked in no time. Cheers mate
Stule
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Stule » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 pm

And on fuel cap try small flat screwdriver in between cap and filling pipe and doing like that in the round then take another one screwdriver and with two try to pull out i succeeded that to few times. Don't worry nothing will break and go in tank, and if it does no big deal you dont have a pump in tank nothing will go in pipes to lift pump because they are small.
Stule
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby s_bastian » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks @Stule for your hints, I will surely give a try to the fuel cap.
any clue regarding the transponder? Is there a way I can understand if my van needs a transponder key or not? I would like to understand that before trying with the ignition
s_bastian

Postby twin wheel camper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:45 pm

If your transit has a chip key it will have a little plastic ring with wires going into it around the ignition barrel, it’s easy to see when the plastic shrouds are removed, if there isn’t then it will just be a plain key.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davetheshrew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:48 pm

just bypass the pats, bloody useless system anyway. Just think *if only the solenoid on the pump had power*...
Drab green Transit 190 L High top minibus
turbo conversion with toyosports intercooler
davetheshrew
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby s_bastian » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:08 pm

twin wheel camper wrote:If your transit has a chip key it will have a little plastic ring with wires going into it around the ignition barrel, it’s easy to see when the plastic shrouds are removed, if there isn’t then it will just be a plain key.

THANKS, that is the kind of information I was looking for! :)
s_bastian

Postby Mo_Jo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:31 pm

hey there! I seem to have lost my account, oh well.

As a previous poster has said, try using another ford key of a similar type.
As the keys and barrels wear over time they can become quite interchangeable,
especially if you give it a wiggle. though failing that it's not too hard to butcher out the
ignition barrel and fuel cap.

Given your van is mk5, I'm going to make some assumptions
1) it has PATS (fords immobiliser of the time, Passive Anti Theft System).
2) its the most common variant with a 2.5 DI engine with a Bosch pump, if it's petrol or its a TD with an epic pump, then I've got no experience with those sorry.

ok then given my assumptions are correct, your going to need to bypass the PATS system. In theory this is a simple procedure, but in practice it's a bit of a pain.

I've got no idea of your technical abilities so instead of me writing a three page essay when you don't need it I'll just give you the basic idea, if you need more help just ask.

firstly you need to locate the fuel pump. on the back of it, where the high pressure injector lines leave the pump, there is a plate, held on with security bolts I believe, if you listen
to Dave above you need to remove it all proper like, but I've always just knocked it off with a cold chisel and lump hammer *****Disclaimer - you follow my terrible advice and break your van, NOT MY FAULT *****
under that is the fuel solenoid, so wire that to the run position of your ignition switch.

secondly you need to connect the small wire on the starter solenoid to start position of the ignition switch.

then ummm make sure it's in neutral and turn the key, you might want to fuse at least the solenoid connection if you want to make it neat.

hope that helps

Mojo
Mo_Jo

Postby s_bastian » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks again, This evening I will unmount the wheel cover and see if there is the wired plastic ring around the ignition barrel. My abilities are basic, I'll search some more youtube guides to understand what I'm able to do, and what I'm not.
s_bastian

Postby s_bastian » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 pm

So here it is:
IMG_20180619_194627.jpg

No wired plastic ring around the ignition barrel. Can I assume there is no pats?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
s_bastian

Postby twin wheel camper » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:41 pm

As long as it’s not pushed up out of the way then you haven’t got pats fitted which is good news in this case :D
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby s_bastian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:52 am

No, I just removed the plastic covers, three screws in total, no wire.
Ok, now I have to pull this out! :)
s_bastian

Postby davetheshrew » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:11 pm

good news!!!
Drab green Transit 190 L High top minibus
turbo conversion with toyosports intercooler
davetheshrew
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits