*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Code Location?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Engine Code Location?

Postby Lsecouriers » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Engine in and were using the old pump and injectors.

the engine light is on now tho?

any ideas people

cheers
Lsecouriers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:48 am

Ah, ok, I've just read your new post that yours is a LDV Convoy :?:
And as it's a turbo EPIC, it will be 100PS :!: as that was the only turbo option available :!:

You did very well in fitting your pump (DSA 1191) and injectors to the ex RAC 85PS engine :D

You need to double check your timing belt :!:

How did you "pin" the engine :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Lsecouriers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:52 am

Thanks for the quick reply andy.

i paid a mechanic to fit the whole engine, i bought the engine on ebay its got the pump that DSA code was 1190. the guy said it was a ex RAC van but im unsure as did not see it lol.

the pump on my engine was 1191 so as people said on here use that pump, he done that and it still had problem so we went on and done the injectors too to see if that would help but he did say it would not?

i was pretty annoyed as i gave him £200 for doing it and £300 for the engine, so £500 and i cant get past 40 and the noise it makes is pretty bad on reving. at idle it like jumps a bit not full idle like it use to be, i know the pump and injectors were good as i had it on my last engine so thats no problem.

i have no idea on how to check timing but hes stopping for Christmas now so bit of a pain :/
Lsecouriers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 am

I presume a new belt (and possibly a new tensioner) was fitted :?:

What sort of tensioner :?:

manual

or

automatic
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Lsecouriers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:14 am

Hi andy thats for the quick reply but no new belt was fitted, the engine has a continential sticker dating 2011 so he said it would be fine?

ive got no problem with a new belt if thats the case just very unsure.

i just been out to the van now to grab a video of it running moving etc as im sure hearing it is alot better for people on here than my terrible explaining lol.
Lsecouriers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:15 am

I wouldn't run it...........

What sort of tensioner :?:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Lsecouriers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:31 am

I would have no idea, im going to have to wait till new year now to find out :/........

I will upload a video shortly once its uploaded so people can see and hear the problem.

i just want this van back on the road.

Would the engine managment light come on if the timing was out? would it even run with the timing out
Lsecouriers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 am

Fair enough. If it has the manual tensioner and the belt was fitted as though it was a new belt, it will be hours before it breaks and damages the engine :!: (push rods and possibly rockers if you're lucky)

The engine management light will come on if the timing is more than 4 degrees out, allowing you to limp home :!:
Yes, can run with timing out :!:

Do you have a timing pin kit or drill bits to the exact size of 13mm(for flywheel) 8mm(for camshaft) and 6 or 9mm (depending on pump) for pump pulley :?:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Lsecouriers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:47 am

If it is a manual tensioner what do i need just a new belt? or tensioner too? as when i called eurocarparts they only stocked the belt and could not got the tensioner they did advise main dealer online.

im not bothered regarding needing a new tensioner belt but i just want to me 100% sure this is the problem

I could get some drill bits together but unsure how i can check timing is it easy?
Lsecouriers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AndyG » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:10 am

Checking the timing is quite straight forward, (for me) but I don't know how skilled you are :?:

Above the starter motor is the flywheel sensor that needs to be unplugged and removed using a 10mm socket. It's just the one bolt holding it in :!:
Watch out if there's any washers :idea:

Insert the 13mm dowel(drill bit) in, (you will feel and hear it stop against the flywheel) Now using (probably an 18mm socket/wrench) turn the engine over slowly, until the dowel/drill bit goes through the flywheel and positively locks the engine :!:

It is important that you don't use a 12mm or any other approximate size drill bit, as the accuracy of this is critical :!:

Now remove the rubber bung (if it still has it) from the plastic cover ahead of the injection pump :!:
Now see if the (6 or 9mm (not sure at 2am)) drill bit fits right through the pump pulley :?:
If it does, then the timing is fine :!:
If it doesn't, you've found the problem :!:
You may be able to look and see the alignment with a small mirror and torch :idea:

Don't forget to remove all pins before attempting to start/turn over the engine :!: :!: :!:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Lsecouriers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:57 am

Lsecouriers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Lsecouriers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:33 am

I have been into ford today regarding this problem asking if the throttle needs reprogramming as its only reving to 2.5k/3k. its definitely in limp mode they said they are unable to do it on the age of the van and to go to hinkleys, i go there and he said they do not need re-programming if i used the same pump injectors etc.

He also did advise to check the timing, im doing all i can to find a mechanic available to have a quick look at it but with this time of year its not easy :(

I would give it a go myself but not the sharpest tool in the box!

Cheers
Lsecouriers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby awdriver96 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:22 pm

From the sound on your video, it needs immediate attention, not only is the timing out but it is only on three cylinders as well, like Andy says it is going to fail sooner than later. Main dealer will stiff you on a kit at silly money and Europartsd are dear too. there must be a motor factors near you who will do you a kit of belt, idler and auto tensioner for a sensible price ( last one cost me £43.50) and invest in a Haynes manual as well. There is a how to on timing belt change in there and it isnt hard to do, you do need the radiator out to make life easy and a decent ring spanner to undo the pulley bolt etc after that its fairly straight forward. You should fill in your location i your profile as someone on here may be close to you. Finally, by fitting new auto tensioner and idler pulleys you can use the later 28mm wide belt which is better also.
Good luck.
mt
awdriver96
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Lsecouriers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:31 pm

It does sound on 3 cylinders.
Its a nightmare as the guy that fitted it has no scanner to help solve the problem or help in a way.
i got a feeling the timing is out but might be wrong, does not sound too good.
i dont mind having to pay someone if it fixs the problem but keep chucking money at it and its not fixing nothing :/
Lsecouriers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Lsecouriers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Would the timing out cause it to run on 3 cylinders? i dont want this to end up being a faulty engine i bought....

Also will this cover it? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165652

Cheers
Lsecouriers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits