*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

cant start your smiley in the morning? please read solution

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

cant start your smiley in the morning? please read solution

Postby syncro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi all, I could go into detail, but in a nutshell, from experience....check your heavy duty cables to starter are good and well connected ...boring but cheapest, but then, and then, most importantly, get rid of the awful mk 5 starter and replace with the large body mk4 starter, recon less than 70 on ebay. All mk5s are ancient now, and the puny mk 5 unit is hopeless after the vehicle is over ten yrs old. Also as a bonus, you can actually hear the commercial heritage of the big starter as it turns the engine so much more efficiently with less strain on the battery....Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
syncro

Re: cant start your smiley in the morning? please read solu

Postby Aardvark » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:07 pm

If that's a straight swap, without cutting, drilling, or altering the cables it has to be the way to go. Mine's never that eager to start in winter and I've done all the checks & suggestions mentioned on the forum. I never realised there was such a difference in size between the two. Thanks for the photo! :)
Learning to love rust.........
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby vanfox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:24 pm

IMO the biggest failure to start is caused by a dying battery and poor cables. Both my vans have the small starter, the W reg one looks like it's the original, both turn over quick enough to start in the cold. Both have newish Bosch S5 silver plus batteries. And new semi-synthetic engine oil.......

I had a large starter fail on a previous van, the brushes were worn out and the comm was ..... rough. My local electrical engineer refurbed the big motor, new brushes and a skim, for £30 (cash). Problem solved. This applies to any starter. If the brushes and comm are bad you're up against it straight away.
We all have a spare starter,....don't we?

Also, I think the worst thing you can do is keep turning the starter and flattening the battery if it's obvious it ain't gonna start. On the previous van with the big starter a tin of devils' breath was always on hand to be squirted straight into the open butterfly. The merest half second squirt was enough and not needed once I had a new battery and refurbed starter.

Then you have any mechanical problems.............Please add.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby FredTransit » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:43 pm

The first time I was offered one of them tiny starters I pushed it back over the counter saying I didn't have a Fiesta! Noooo they said these are new and high geared and meant for the DI. It lasted 3 months. The next one only two. After that I insisted on a 10 Pounder big starter. The ickle ones just aren't up to the job.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:58 pm

The wee ones are fine as long as you don't try and crank for long periods with a poor electical supply, they spin the motor faster, which is ideal for the DI, but to give good cranking speed and have the grunt to spin the motor over at a suitable speed they must have good leads and battery.

Mine is miles better for recently soldering the terminals to the leads - so much so that I've had to reduce the idle speed due to the load the poor alternator lead connection was putting on things.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby BUNGAL » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Must agree, I have two mk4 s which start on the button, and a swb mk5, which had never started well, I have replaced battery, and leads, a new small stater which was better but would still take 10 turns to start,
Bought a secondhand older/ larger one from tim a few weeks back, and it's a different van, starts on the third crank, no smoke from u burn fuel, all I had to do was in large the positive thermal a little and replace the eye type terminal for a spade,
The 15 mins work I have ever dun
BUNGAL
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby F111ORY » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi, I have been banging on about battery leads on this forum ( last winter) and a tractor forum. People replace batteries and starters but ignore cheaper to replace leads!

I have brought a crimper to do lead ends and have thought of manufacturing Transit leads to sell here and Ebay!
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby davew2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:08 pm

Mines the real big one fitted to mk3 and mk2 diesels Image :D
If it ain't got leaf springs it in't a commercial
davew2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kedishen » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Totally agree with the above... don't forget the earth connections too
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby All4n » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:18 am

Another vote for the big starter.

My mk5 pick up had the small starter, looked out of place if i'm honest, could tell had been replaced with recon in the past also. It was still a bad starter in the cold even with brand new good quality big battery, new battery terminals, cut away any corroded cable, cleaned up all connections etc, oil change/service. Made improvements but still struggled.

My most recent mk5 a SWB has the big starter, since the day i got it (bar that little :roll: issue with the timing belt jumping a few teeth of course!) it's been a spectacular first time starter on any morning. A few mates who have had old transits have always said the big starter is the one to go for, it has defiantly proven its self to me anyway.
All4n
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mr RVM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Not doubting anyones experiences or suggesting that the "big starter motor" ISN'T better than the later "smaller" one but I've never had a staring problem with any of the 6 small ones ive got :) (and one of them I know for sure is the original factory fit and its nearly 15 years old :) ) I never had a twin battery set up in any of my transits either :!:
I do agree that (like everything) they can eventually at some point get tired and renewal may be necessary and buying a reconditioned/exchange unit may not be the best option as replacing a few of the smaller (cheaper) bits inside might give it a new lease of life but the main parts (Field coils etc) will still be "tired" so it might not perform for long (as Fred was unlucky enough to find out TWICE :( ) The "Mechanical" properties of the materials change with Age/use/heat/corrosion and so the conductivity is affected :(
On a well serviced engine where everything else that can affect starting is in (near) tip top condition the length of time the starter motor is operating is reduced and therefore "longevity" is increased :)
I'll report back when my 15 year old little one eventually lets me down (but don't hold your breath) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby davew2 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:54 pm

To be fair the only problem with my little starter was one of the brushes had stuck but i personally don't like all that gearing ma lacy in em :(
If it ain't got leaf springs it in't a commercial
davew2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Keef » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Restorationvanman wrote:On a well serviced engine where everything else that can affect starting is in (near) tip top condition the length of time the starter motor is operating is reduced

I completely agree, I'd make sure the timing and valve clearances are spot on before even looking at the electrics, and getting them right is free.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby andypdq » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Most of you who have problems starting probably have retarded pump timing, I don't care whether the timing pins go in, lots of pump drive hubs aren't set correctly, if you check pump plunger lift with a DTI. :idea:
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madbri » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 pm

andypdq wrote:Most of you who have problems starting probably have retarded pump timing, I don't care whether the timing pins go in, lots of pump drive hubs aren't set correctly, if you check pump plunger lift with a DTI. :idea:

if you check pump plunger lift with a DTI ? got any links to buy 1 ? i cant find 1 for love or money :(
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits