*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Turbocharging mk5 2.5 di

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Turbocharging mk5 2.5 di

Postby emdc » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:51 pm

Cool.

Thanks Jim. Thought that might be the case.

As I said, I CAN HAZ WELDUR. I CAN HAZ WELD. So fabricating various pipes and flanges isn't a problem.

As in F111ORY's post, up there ^^, that seems like a neat idea, although with slight modifications.

I note the author of the "job" says he used a LR200 turbo. They seem to be a bit thin on the ground.

If flanges are made to fit, and its a mechanical actuator (ie not electrical bits) can any turbo (that'll fit a 2.5) be used, or are there certain ones I should look out for?

I realise I'm being a bit of a PITA, but you guys seem to know, and the internet is fairly useless for transit info.

Ta
emdc

Postby F111ORY » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi, Re turbo's to use. I have also fitted a turbo from a 2 litre car engine on to a 3.8 litre tractor engine. I think what matters is the HP band of the donor vehicle. Both car and tractor were 60hp in n/a form. If you want 100 hp from your Transit engine, rob a turbo off an engine that produces 100hp!

Here is video of said tractor fitted with turbo from a Rover Montego withe the Perkins Prima engine

http://youtu.be/vCzY4htoW2M

http://youtu.be/-W6NxgAYAug
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jholtby » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Sorry to revisit, been trawling through old threads trying to gain some info on giving my maroon mk5 banana engined swb tipper a bit more grunt

Ive done the fuel pump mod and thats helped, but other lads use it and if too heavy footed they make a smoke screen and it now has the nickname cuttlefish

I have sat in the corner of the yard my very first van, slowly rotting away, its a mk5 lwb hi cube with what i believe to be the 100ps turbo engine (epic pump)

Now i remember it being rather rapid, especially compared to the tired cuttlefish, and think turbocharging is the easiest and cheapest solution

So should i.....

Swap the whole engine over?

Or is it easier to just swap the turbo ancillaries over (worried about snapping bolts) ?

Also, it looks as though there is an extra loom coming off the top of my engine with a box of tricks, do i need that?

Ive attached a picture of the engine, if you guys could confirm if im right avout it being the epic pump that would be great

Thanks

Joe
Jholtby

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits