*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

loss of electrics

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

loss of electrics

Postby plainlazy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi All

I have a 1990 2.5di motorhome. I was on a 400 mile trip in her and all was fine until about 200 miles in, then all of a sudden i pull up to a junction and the engine cut out.
Turned the key but none of the Red lights came on, just completely dead. Hazard lights and interior lights etc all ok.
Called out the RAC who sent out local garage. The man checked the battery and the earth and both were ok.
He said there was power going to the starter motor and to the fuse box ( all fuses ok). However no power was going to the ignition. He could not work out the problem so i was recovered back to my home address.
The camper is now in my drive and when i tried to start it today it was fine apart from the battery light was flickering and would not go out ?
Any idea what could be wrong before i think about getting a auto electrian to come and take a look ?
The motorhome has only done 39000 and regularly serviced.
The breakdown man did say that it looked like someone had been messing with the electrics. The motorhome did have air suspension fitted at some point but that has never worked since i have had it and it has been disconnected.
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: loss of electrics

Postby Kedishen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:21 pm

Sounds like a dodgy ignition switch. Cheap from ebay, bout £15-20 compared to fords £85.

eBay listings

Easy to replace, take the cowling away from steering, might need to remove ignition barrel (put in key, turn and press button on top of barrel).

Might wanna get in there first and give the ignition switch a wiggle see what happens. Some people carry a spare one of these with them as its fairly common.
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby plainlazy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:20 pm

Cheers for that Kedishen

I'll give a wiggle tomorrow and see what happens.
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mr RVM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:34 pm

Pretty sure that all the transit 86 to 2000 have the same ignition switch so plenty around for pennies at the breakers etc just a grub screw to remove it (no need to remove lock barrel) I got a brand new genuine ford one recently from the bay for a fiver delivered :) I have at least 4 or 5 used ones that all work fine if you get desperate :wink:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby plainlazy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks for that Mr RVM

Would this switch be ok ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271402048807? ... =STRK%3AME
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby plainlazy » Fri May 08, 2015 4:53 pm

I brought the above switch and it is totally different to the one currently fitted ?
The one currently fitted is made of plastic and just pushes on to the ignition barrel. I have looked on Ebay for one like the one fitted but i cannot seem to find anything like it ?

Any ideas ?
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tranny195 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:45 pm

This happened to me, and it was the switch. No idea about if any are different though mate.
tranny195

Postby plainlazy » Thu May 28, 2015 2:04 pm

Here is a couple of photos of the igition switch i have taken out.
Anyone have any ideas if the new metal switch is the correct one and if so how do i fit it ?
The old one just pushed on but i cant seem to figure out how the new switch can be fitted ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby plainlazy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:11 pm

Any ideas about the above ?
The kids are pestering me to take them camping now the nice weather is here ?
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kedishen » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:19 pm

As long as it fits onto the end of barrel and is operated correctly by the barrel then it should be fine. If the way it is held in is different, then use some tape or summit to hold it in place.

I thought mk3/4/5 were same.. my friends mk3 is same as my mk4. Heres a pic of how it fits... Its literally held on with a little screw if i remember right.

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby plainlazy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks for that Kedishen

My ignition barrel is totally different to the above, which is why the new ignition switch does not fit.
Now i being to wonder if someone has fitted another barrel at sometime in it's life. Anyone else have a mk 3 with a plastic ignition switch ?
plainlazy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kedishen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:15 pm

weird :o

A new one from ebay only costs 20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-STE ... 1e6080b574

Cant speak for the quality though.. and to whether it will fit.

Perhaps a photo of the current on will help.

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby whatstuffisthething » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:02 am

plainlazy wrote:Thanks for that Kedishen

My ignition barrel is totally different to the above, which is why the new ignition switch does not fit.
Now i being to wonder if someone has fitted another barrel at sometime in it's life. Anyone else have a mk 3 with a plastic ignition switch ?

THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM here.... Did you figure it out? Where can I get the black plastic switches?

Paul
89' Reimo Campervan MK3
whatstuffisthething
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby whatstuffisthething » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:34 am

Figured it out this morning. Turns out it was not the actual switch which was the problem, but the plastic 6 pin connector to the switch.

The connection on the thick black wire (not the red) was dodgy, so when all the current was going through the dodgy connection, it had created enough heat to melt away the plastic around it, eventually leading to complete failure. :(

So, to fix it properly, I would need a new 6 pin connector, cut the wires and reconnect it through the new connector. Not looking forward to that job at all...

Any tips? (where would I find such a connector?)

Currently, it was fixed by cleaning the contacts and bending the contacts so that the connection will be maintained. The melted black plastic is left the way it was.
...my experience tells me that this type of half hearted job eventually will fail again....
89' Reimo Campervan MK3
whatstuffisthething
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:47 am

Cut the wires and solder?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits