*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Performace mechanichal pump for turbo 2.5 Di.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Performace mechanichal pump for turbo 2.5 Di.

Postby andypdq » Wed May 06, 2015 9:06 pm

vanfox wrote:Tangentially, whilst looking for extra power/ driveability is there any way to clean up the emissions? I'm minded of the current pollution hoo haa along with more emission zones, just wondering if Add blue, as used by lorries, would help. Possibly propane injection?

Do you know what the emissions are like using quality veg oil in the mix?

On the lack of engine braking, is it possible to close the fuel cut off valve on the overrun with some form of control to enable idling etc

The most practical way to clean up smoke emissions is excess air, ie more boost. Emission zones will no doubt be run on the LEZ model, ie vehicle age/type rather than individual vehicle approval. Adblue cuts down NOx emissions afaik.

Veg oil still makes smoke which registers on the smoke (opacity) test, though the chemical analysis of emissions will no doubt be different than diesel

The VE pump supplies zero fuel on overrun if it's set up correctly, cut off valve will make no difference if the pump is working properly. Any problems with overrun and tickover are down to faults within the pump.
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dieselhead123 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:57 pm

As you say Andy, any further LEZ type emission zones are likely to be based on type approval data, not actual emissions produced by a vehicle, modified or otherwise so the 'date of first registration, (in the UK), will likely be the deciding factor.

There was a Q plated Mk4 sold on ebay that showed as LEZ compliant because it was allocated it's Q plate in 2002, TFL assumed it was Euro 3 because the V5 stated first registered in 2002 :lol:

Once the next pump is on the Chucklebus and tested we will be able to see how it compares with the VW for 'gains', I am sure that the customer is keen to get it on his van.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andypdq » Thu May 07, 2015 8:20 am

dieselhead123 wrote:
Once the next pump is on the Chucklebus and tested we will be able to see how it compares with the VW for 'gains', I am sure that the customer is keen to get it on his van.

TIM

The interesting thing with the VW is, how easy it is to gain LOTS more power, without excessive smoke. I think it's to do with it being indirect injection, so it has a much longer timing window to get the fuel in, and they are much less fussy when it comes to injectors when compared to direct injection engines.

With standard boost pressure, around 15 psi I estimate we gained 30 to 40% with the pump mods. With max boost increased to 25 psi, I would say it was making double its original power with the full load screw maxed out, no smoke whatsoever once boost was over 20 psi. That's with the original 9mm pump head, it needs an 11 mm head :twisted: It has no intercooler atm, so it has much more to give.

It was around 70 bhp as standard, I reckon it's way above 120 now, they do seem much easier to tune than direct injection engines.

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Rickbu » Thu May 14, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi Andy. I've been busy beavering away at this from my own angle, I believe the boost top I have doesn't offer as much movement as the standard torque top, I don't know if this varies between them, anyway I've been machining the boost top to take the transit control levers and allow the same amount of travel as the torque top I'm also going to need to machine up a boost pin to match, by the time I'm finished as far as the pump is concerned it's going be the same inside as a non turbo one, just with the levers operated from boost rather than pump pressure, I believe then I'm eliminating many of the other factors that throw me off the perfect setup. I'm nowhere near finished, I have been taking pictures so I will post them soon

Rick
1998 county X2 one daily use one waiting restoration
2000 mk5 self build motorhome restored and built
1995 Isuzu trooper 3.1 td
2000 astra 1.7 td Isuzu power conversation
Rickbu
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rickbu » Sat May 16, 2015 2:58 pm

OK got this done now, there are some differences, with my previous setup I had a lot of low and mid range torque but a decent amount of smoke If I floored it ( which I can live with) which faded off to a quite weak top end, now I have a weaker low and mid followed by a much healthier top end. Much less smoke knocking about too. I only just got her back running so still have to fine tune the pump. All in all fairly happy. The only downside is that the control levers I was using before had a separate start lever built in so it gave a nice blip of the throttle on first startup. The transit ones don't have this. Perhaps not a requirement on a direct injection engine.. I'm using a top with the levers on the same side as the transit one so I can use all the setup from that, and the top has been machined to give the same amount of travel as the transit torque top did. It's pretty good :)
Rickbu
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rickbu » Sat May 16, 2015 8:15 pm

OK just been out and had another fiddle, cleaned up the transition from mid to high a bit by taking a bit of pretension of the boost sensor spring. Now it's a more smooth power delivery between off and on boost, another observation, now that I don't have the starting lever I don't get the blip on startup but I also don't get the big puff of smoke everytime either
Rickbu
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andypdq » Sun May 17, 2015 6:58 pm

Rickbu wrote:OK just been out and had another fiddle, cleaned up the transition from mid to high a bit by taking a bit of pretension of the boost sensor spring. Now it's a more smooth power delivery between off and on boost, another observation, now that I don't have the starting lever I don't get the blip on startup but I also don't get the big puff of smoke everytime either

Hi Rick,

It's great to see someone on the forum messing with pumps, it's commonplace with enthusiasts on other forums centred on other brands, but sadly not on Ford forums. :( What is the pump number of the pump you have the levers from, and you have a photo of your levers, I've never seen a VE pump without starting levers. You may have an over long governor sleeve from your original IDI pump which renders the starting lever inoperative.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Rickbu » Mon May 18, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi Andy, I was running the control levers ( the part that moves the sleeve + the part that pulls on it with the governor spring from the Isuzu pump, it's that which had the starting levers and used to give me a quick blip of throttle and smoke every start, now I'm running a totally different top part which had the hole for the arm in the same place as the original transit one so I'm now running all the control lever setup from the original torque top transit pump instead, including even that part that pivots on the pin inside the top part ( I drove out the pin and replaced it so that it would match the transit control levers.) I also had to mill out a section of the casting where the sliding pin goes through which runs on the boost pin in order to increase the maximum available travel to match the original transit one, including the start and end positions. All in all I'm fairly happy with it now, 1000 x better than the epic pump. I suppose next step for me will be 130 injectors. I have 100s in at the minute
Rickbu
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ColinJack » Mon May 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Mr RVM wrote:
madbri wrote:dish washer :mrgreen: done it myself :shock: :oops:

Does your missus know you put diesel pumps in "HER" dishwasher :?: :?: :?: :lol:
Braver man than me! :lol:
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
1980 Mk2 Holdsworth Camper
I don't regret growing old - it is a privilege denied to many.
The Journey is the Reward. (Chinese Proverb)
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby Rickbu » Tue May 19, 2015 1:51 pm

This is where I milled out to increase the available travel including machining down the sleeve which takes the small o ring
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rickbu
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rickbu » Tue May 19, 2015 1:54 pm

This is the part I had to machine shorter also. The sleeve this holds an o ring and seals against a copper washer to keep internal pump pressure out of the boost top. After that a custom boost pin is needed to take advantage of the extra travel. The torque top gives loads of travel in comparison to a normal boost pin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rickbu
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dieselhead123 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:33 pm

For those of you watching this thread, our 'Hybrid' pump is now one the Mk5, thread can be seen here;
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=92701

A short 'test run' has shown that the fitting of an LDA top is definitely beneficial and significantly reduces 'off boost' smoke. Those members running N/A pumps on their turbo Di's will definitely benefit from this.

The increased fueling this pump offers, approximately 23% increase in 'capacity' over the stock N/A pump provides a noticeable increase in mid range 'punch'.

Andy, you will be pleased/surprised to learn that the 'top end rpm' problem you thought might occur does not appear to have surfaced :?
Although I think I should invest in a 'genuine' FORD fuel filter to be sure :wink:

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andypdq » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:09 pm

dieselhead123 wrote:
The increased fueling this pump offers, approximately 23% increase in 'capacity' over the stock N/A pump provides a noticeable increase in mid range 'punch'.

Andy, you will be pleased/surprised to learn that the 'top end rpm' problem you thought might occur does not appear to have surfaced :?
Although I think I should invest in a 'genuine' FORD fuel filter to be sure :wink:

TIM

It's amazing what you can learn about modifying fueling systems, if you frequent Cummins, Peugeot, VW and tractor pulling forums. After a few more tweaks, the VW is now peach :wink: 8)

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andypdq » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Fitted one of these to Bulletguy's camper last week, 100 HP brown spot injectors, no intercooler, she goes well. He's off for a flit around Scotland in the next few days, so hopefully you'll have an unbiased report on performance and fuel consumption shortly. :D
Last edited by andypdq on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:51 pm

Sounds 8) :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits