*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Performace mechanichal pump for turbo 2.5 Di.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Performace mechanichal pump for turbo 2.5 Di.

Postby andypdq » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:35 pm

After talking and arguing about it for years, me and Tim finally got round to putting together our ideal "performance" pump for the 2.5 Di this last weekend. It features a high lift camplate, which gives considerably more fuel per stroke of the rotor, 3.2mm stroke as opposed to 2.6mm with the standard Di pump, which in theory will pump 23% more fuel, with the same 11mm pump head, fit a 12mm pump head and it will be considerably more, but they are rare and expensive. :shock: It also has manifold pressure fueling compensation, much better for turbo applications, than the torque top fitted to the NA pumps, this should give us less off boost smoke than the NA pumps do, because it increases fueling relative to increasing manifold pressure, as opposed to increasing engine speed, which is "blind", increasing fueling with respect to manifold pressure is far more accurate for correct fueling. We should have better low to mid range power, with less smoke and more top end than the standard NA pump can deliver, due to the larger potential fuel pumping capacity.

I am now waiting for Tim to get his finger out and fit it, then we'll see how good or bad it is. :idea:

The pump we rebuilt was run on veg oil, then put on the shelf for a few years, I've never seen one so gummed up, there's no way it would have run without a strip down and a good clean. Tim has the photos, which he will no doubt post up in the fullness of time, I'm sure you will all be impressed with our state of the art pump cleaning facilities. :P
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Performace mechanichal pump for turbo 2.5 Di.

Postby ernie b » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:02 pm

Ohhhhh hurry up I need this.
pretty please :D
ernie b
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dieselhead123 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:04 pm

andypdq wrote:The pump we rebuilt was run on veg oil, then put on the shelf for a few years, I've never seen one so gummed up, there's no way it would have run without a strip down and a good clean. Tim has the photos, which he will no doubt post up in the fullness of time, I'm sure you will all be impressed with our state of the art pump cleaning facilities. :P

Here are the pictures of the pump, this is what we found once the top cover was removed;

Looking into the case after removal of the external advance mechanism;

Another view of the internals, unlikely the levers would have operated correctly;

Once the cam-plate etc has been removed we can see just how much oil has built up on the inside of the case;

As for the 'state-of-the-art' cleaning process, just how do you get dirty cooking oil off your kitchen utensils?

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby madbri » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:08 pm

dish washer :mrgreen: done it myself :shock: :oops:
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mr RVM » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:19 pm

madbri wrote:dish washer :mrgreen: done it myself :shock: :oops:

Does your missus know you put diesel pumps in "HER" dishwasher :?: :?: :?: :lol:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dieselhead123 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:24 pm

I am sure that the dishwasher would have worked very well, but the dishwasher is awaiting a 'software update', (something to do with chalk content of the water). We need to purchase a 'diagnostic interface' from China :lol:

So Andy put together an alternative, more traditional solution;
Boil washed for 30mins :shock:

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby madbri » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Mr RVM wrote:

Does your missus know you put diesel pumps in "HER" dishwasher :?: :?: :?: :lol:

yep she found out :oops: :oops:
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mr RVM » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:32 pm

dieselhead123 wrote:

I am sure that the dishwasher would have worked very well, but the dishwasher is awaiting a 'software update', (something to do with chalk content of the water). We need to purchase a 'diagnostic interface' from China :lol:

So Andy put together an alternative, more traditional solution;
Boil washed for 30mins :shock:

TIM

The forum "barby" could be busy at this years Mania then :!: :!: :!: :!: :lol:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby madbri » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:38 pm

dont bother with the water then. well just boil some chips in the veg oil :mrgreen:
madbri
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:02 pm

Place pump parts in cold water, season generously with washing powder, bring to a rolling boil over a hardwood fire, then simmer for an hour, turning occasionally. Came out lovely, a quick rub with a toothbrush removed any varnish that was left, spotless. :D

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mr RVM » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:10 pm

andypdq wrote:Place pump parts in cold water, season generously with washing powder, bring to a rolling boil over a hardwood fire, then simmer for an hour, turning occasionally. Came out lovely, a quick rub with a toothbrush removed any varnish that was left, spotless. :D

Come on Andy, no one uses washing powder anymore (do they :roll: ) and surely "Finsh" dishwasher cleaning tabs would be better :lol:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andypdq » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Mr RVM wrote:
andypdq wrote:Place pump parts in cold water, season generously with washing powder, bring to a rolling boil over a hardwood fire, then simmer for an hour, turning occasionally. Came out lovely, a quick rub with a toothbrush removed any varnish that was left, spotless. :D

Come on Andy, no one uses washing powder anymore (do they :roll: ) and surely "Finsh" dishwasher cleaning tabs would be better :lol:

Maybe, but I'm beginning to think the toothbrush wasn't such a good idea, the Mrs says she has had a strange, lingering taste in her mouth this last day or two. :shock:

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mr RVM » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andypdq » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:23 pm

The photos make the pump look very bad, but it cleaned up really nicely, after the "Ray Mears does diesel pumps in the outback" cleaning process. Veg oil lubricates much better than modern pump diesel, as long as it's de watered and not too acidic, the problem was caused by it being left in the pump, the more volatile fractions evaporate, leaving gummy thick gunge behind. We didn't bother using the original high pressure pump head, not easy to ensure all the narrow internal fuel passageways were clean, but used the one which came from the donor pump we used to supply the LDA top and control levers (Rover Montego, for all you Ford purists :lol:) We also replaced the vane pump, which was seriously gunked, with one lifted from one of the many failed VP30s that I have from the Mk6s, they are nearly always in better order than the VE ones, because the electronics fail so early in the pump's potential life.

I have always run a twin tank system for veg oil in direct injection engines , start and warm up on diesel, switch over to veg oil, switch back to diesel when you near your destination, so you have a pump full of diesel for your next cold start and avoid any potential piston ring gumming problems, which can occur when running veg oil in cold direct injection engines. I recently dismantled a Di pump, which I had run in my old Sherpa Di, on veg, it had then stood for three years+ and it was pristine, a bit different than this one :idea: I shall continue to twin tank. :wink:

I have just scored 1000 litres of new veg oil in an IBC, 45p/litre :D I won't be going common rail any time soon :lol:

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DodgeRover » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:27 pm

Was that just gum or was it rust from using wet vegoil/ bio, the last pump I saw looking that bad was from a 1964 International Tractor...
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits