*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Performace mechanichal pump for turbo 2.5 Di.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Performace mechanichal pump for turbo 2.5 Di.

Postby ColinJack » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:02 pm

andypdq wrote:Fitted one of these to Bulletguy's camper last week, 100 HP brown spot injectors, no intercooler, she goes well, He's off for a flit around Scotland in the next few days, so hopefully you'll have an unbiased report on performance and fuel consumption shortly. :D
Looking forward to seeing the figures.
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
1980 Mk2 Holdsworth Camper
I don't regret growing old - it is a privilege denied to many.
The Journey is the Reward. (Chinese Proverb)
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 pm

andypdq wrote:
dieselhead123 wrote:
The increased fueling this pump offers, approximately 23% increase in 'capacity' over the stock N/A pump provides a noticeable increase in mid range 'punch'.

Andy, you will be pleased/surprised to learn that the 'top end rpm' problem you thought might occur does not appear to have surfaced :?
Although I think I should invest in a 'genuine' FORD fuel filter to be sure :wink:

TIM

It's amazing what you can learn about modifying fueling systems, if you frequent Cummins, Peugeot, VW and tractor pulling forums. After a few more tweaks, the VW is now peach :wink: 8)

You learn lot watching the tractor pullers Andy :lol: http://www.motivationals.org/demotivati ... ters-25839
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:33 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:
andypdq wrote:
dieselhead123 wrote:
The increased fueling this pump offers, approximately 23% increase in 'capacity' over the stock N/A pump provides a noticeable increase in mid range 'punch'.

Andy, you will be pleased/surprised to learn that the 'top end rpm' problem you thought might occur does not appear to have surfaced :?
Although I think I should invest in a 'genuine' FORD fuel filter to be sure :wink:

TIM

It's amazing what you can learn about modifying fueling systems, if you frequent Cummins, Peugeot, VW and tractor pulling forums. After a few more tweaks, the VW is now peach :wink: 8)

You learn lot watching the tractor pullers Andy :lol: http://www.motivationals.org/demotivati ... ters-25839

But there's no black smoke??????....., maybe that was the weigh in, pre ignition phase :oops: .
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Bulletguy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:38 pm

OK as some of you already know, Andypdq fitted one of his modified Bosch pumps to my van after an Epic fail in Belgium (appropriate pun eh? :roll: ) resulting in an aborted European tour and the Breakdown insisting on my van being repatriated back to UK. Since fitting i've now been on a short trek around Scotland as a kind of 'shakedown' run to see how the pump performs. Each time i go off on a tour i 'neck' the tank on a fill up and take a reading off my mileometer. OK i know it's not the most scientific but it's about the only way. My van is an Autosleepers Duetto built on Mk5 Transit with the 2.5TDi engine. I assume the fuel tank to be fitted in exactly the same location as the commercial built Mk5 Transit so owners will know they are notoriously slow fillers requiring much patience to get the fuel to 'neck'. Also of course, you can never guarantee each filling station you pull on will have a perfectly flat level surface.

First fill was at 316 miles with 36.96ltrs of diesel.

Second fill at 216 miles with 36.59ltrs.

Third and final fill at 360 miles 54.36ltrs.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/szcztw.jpg

I used an online fuel calculator to figure the mpg which came out at 31.92....pretty much around what i got from the Lucas Epic pump. But it should be remembered that these are quite heavy vans fitted out with solid wood interiors. Onboard fresh water tank holds 70ltrs, grey water waste tank holds 45ltrs and the toilet flush 7ltrs. Add all that to a full fuel tank of 68ltrs and the engine works pretty damned hard! However performance is very different to the Epic pump. There is way more pulling power and for the first time since owning the van, it actually feels like it really does have a turbo! Obviously no campervan was built for blasting down the motorways and autobahns and most of my distance driving on that type of road is generally around 55 - 65mph. Country roads i will potter around at 30-40mph....less if it's somewhere nice! But there is more power there if needed and it does come in quite quickly.

The Bosch pump is slightly more noisy than the Epic but on a long run in top gear it tends to disappear. I can get used to that in favour of better pulling power.....plus the other bonus is the Bosch pump has got rid of that stupid electronic 'fly by wire' accelerator which imo has to rank among the most ludicrous batty ideas to come from Ford. WTF were they thinking of? After all, the Transit was built as a commercial van......not a Ferrari! Having a cabled throttle is a big 'plus' over daft electronics.
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby robbie.cee » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Bit of 2 stroke oil in with the diesel should quieten it down... and may even give a few more horses too!!
Oldskool engineering rules by far! Glad ypur happy!!! Andy Sure knows his stuff
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:06 pm

robbie.cee wrote:Bit of 2 stroke oil in with the diesel should quieten it down... and may even give a few more horses too!!
Oldskool engineering rules by far! Glad ypur happy!!! Andy Sure knows his stuff

Adding a small amount of hydraulic oil or old fashioned MINERAL engine oil, not synthetic or semi synthetic, to your fuel will produce the same result, and it's much cheaper than two stroke. :wink:

Bulletguy, I'm glad you're happy with it, any problems, you know where I am. :D

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Bulletguy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:10 pm

I'll try some oil as i've plenty here at home. When i say "slightly more noisy" i mean just that. It's not overbearing in anyway to make driving uncomfortable. I've only driven Mk3 and Mk5 Transits so am used to the 'agricultural clatter' from them where by comparison my sons Audi which is diesel, you wouldn't even know once inside...and the thing shifts like the proverbial off a shovel too! No idea how the late generation model Trannies compare on engine noise.

Yes i'll give you a call re. throttle cable Andy to sort out suitable date. Mark (auto electrics Burslem) is going over my 12v habitation electrics first as i have a problem with that at the moment. Not sure if you've ever used him but when it comes to auto electrics he's the dogs wotsits. :mrgreen:
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Enzolly » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:45 am

Interesting stuff here!
How much oil would you add per tank?
Enzolly
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ColinJack » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:24 am

Enzolly wrote:Interesting stuff here!
Typically 300ml per tank.
1990 Mk3 Reimo Camper
1980 Mk2 Holdsworth Camper
I don't regret growing old - it is a privilege denied to many.
The Journey is the Reward. (Chinese Proverb)
ColinJack
MK3 Massive

Postby Mr RVM » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:01 pm

ColinJack wrote:
Enzolly wrote:Interesting stuff here!
Typically 300ml per tank.

That's around a 200:1 mix :!: (anything is better than nothing but how much better :?: Diesel still has "some" lubrication qualities of its own, it just requires a "little help" these days :wink: ) I use a litre per tank full (around 70:1 mix) and I use a good quality mineral 2 stroke oil which I get for £2.05 per litre (even cheap mineral engine oil will cost you around £1.50) but which of the 2 has been purposely manufactured to lubricate at fairly "minute" dilutions and to be burned off "cleanly" once its job has been done :?: :wink:

In terms of cost this equates to around a 90p increase in the price of a tank full of fuel (remember that the 2 stroke oil replaces a litre of diesel which costs around £1.10 at the min) that's an increase of less than 1.5p per litre on the price of your tank full of "improved" fuel :) (depending on where you fill up) pump prices on diesel can vary by upto 10 times that :shock:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Modern 2 stroke trials bikes are recommended to run a mix of between 100:1 and 120:1 and thats providing all the lubrication for the engine, 200:1 in diesel sounds about right to provide a little extra lube
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby pedracer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:33 pm

that's lean for a 2 stroke, 50:1 is normal for 2 stroke tools and down to 30:1 for racing 2 smoke engines!

but that is fully synthetic posh stuff
pedracer
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andypdq » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:06 pm

pedracer wrote:that's lean for a 2 stroke, 50:1 is normal for 2 stroke tools and down to 30:1 for racing 2 smoke engines!

but that is fully synthetic posh stuff

I have a number (a flock?) of old British Seagull outboard motors from the 1950s and 60s , originally designed to run a 10:1 mix, adding to the romantic ambiance of the early morning mist, over the water :lol: :shock: , you can run them at 25:1 on modern two stroke oil, if you fit a different needle to the Villiers carb. I love the smell of two stroke in the morning. :D

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby robbie.cee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:28 pm

We followed over a hundred lambrettas n vespas from hook of holland to enschiede for a mod rally i was dj ing at.... defo love the smell of 2stroke engines lol

'petroil'
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby JonoD92 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 am

Hi Guys
my Fathers 1999 mk5 lwb camper had a leak from the epic pump so we have replaced all the seals and fixed the leak but now it will idle ok when cold but as soon as you rev it then the check engine light comes onand goes into limp mode then if you turn it off and start it again the idle starts to rise and when warm it is idling at 1800rpm and white/grey smoke out exhaust do you think this could be a problem with the timing needing to be advanced? or do i need to get the pump calibrated?

if so we are considing going to a bosch pump is it posible to get one from Andy? i cant pm yet so havnt contacted him yet i am in New Zealand so im not sure if it will be economacal to ship or not

i also have a VCM II and ids for my Mk7 but dont seem to be able to connect to the MK5 it just says invalid part number when i enter the pcm part number
JonoD92

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits