*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Half shaft oil seal help

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Half shaft oil seal help

Postby Tsetter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Had the old diff oil on the inside of back wheel I noticed last week so ordered seal , what turned up was a o ring and inner seal, removed the wheel, drum, hub , half shaft , etc so all I am left with is stub axle and rear plate with brakes on , can feel the seal inside the sub axle with the metal springy retaining clip on but how do I change the inner seal ?? Do I need to remove back plate with brakes on ??
:( have Haynes manual but does not give information , bearing and hub seal look new and 56mm hub nut does to , had van only 2 months and it is mot time in August so just going around doing bits I can find first , will ob need new brakes shoes too
van is on axle stands while welding up inner sils so really wanna do this before any long trips ,
Many thanks :) it's a 1994 swb 5 stud h type Axle,( high top factory converted camper )
Tsetter
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Half shaft oil seal help

Postby Tsetter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Any ideas guys , hoping to do a 250 mile trip weekend :roll:
Tsetter
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mr RVM » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:10 pm

I thought tho "O" ring went on the half shaft (at the back of the flange) and the inner seal went in the back of the hub (so it fits up against the end of the axle casing close to the brake backplate) so you shouldn't have to remove the backplate :?:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Tsetter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:21 pm

That is right but there is also a seal in the stub axle where the half shaft goes threw, I can feel it in there and have the spare but wondered if it is fitted threw the back which would involve taking the stub axle off to gain access ,
Tsetter
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mr RVM » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Tsetter wrote:That is right but there is also a seal in the stub axle where the half shaft goes threw, I can feel it in there and have the spare but wondered if it is fitted threw the back which would involve taking the stub axle off to gain access ,

Does it come off :?: (don't think they do) they don't on type 51/53 axles
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Tsetter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:06 pm

I couldn't see a way it came off so was pretty clueless how this seal can be changed
Tsetter
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby SteveJohnstonUK » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:52 am

I know its and old thread but did you ever work it out?
I'm facing the same issue now, axle oil in the hub (and bearings shot).
Type 34 "H" (single wheel) 1990 axle.
I have a wheel bearing kit with the Hub seal and O-ring, but not the inner seal in the axle itself.
I can order the seal but see no way of removing and replacing it.

Best wishes, Steve
SteveJohnstonUK

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits