*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ANy Suggestions

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

ANy Suggestions

Postby dclift » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi Folks,

Can any one here help me out/give me a clue what to try next?

We have a 96 Ford Transit 2.5T Auto, its adapted so my wheelchair bound wife can drive it.

Normally all is fine, until you drive it over 2500 revs at which point the ECU error lamp comes on and the revs drop to 2000 and you start to crawl along in get you home mode .

Stop the engine and start it again and all is OK.

Now I have taken it back to a Ford main dealer who has given me the run around. Firstly they said there was nothing wrong with it as the ECU light was off, I had already told them it goes out once you restart the engine :cry: Then it was you can not read the ECU error registers unless the error light is on, so they test drove it and could not reproduce the fault :evil:

So I take it for a short run bring it back with the light on, they tell me the speed sensor failed and replace it. I take it out again no difference. :evil:

They say there must be a fault in the auto box but they say disconnecting the sensor will solve the problem. Well they did and it still has the same problem. :evil:

Speaking to someone else, I am told that the speed sensor will not put the van into limp home mode. Is this so, but then again its not currently connected!!

I would be really grateful for some advise on what to try next, the Ford Dealer doesn’t seem interested so any help would be gratefully received.

Thanx.
dclift

Postby AndyG » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:58 pm

OMG :!:
Name and Shame :!: that Ford dealer :!:

NEVER go back to these muppets :!: and make a written complaint to Fords :!:

Faults are stored in the ECU, light on or not :!:
This is exactly how intermittent faults are rectified :wink:

When was the timing belt last changed :?:

I would guess that the pump's 'bolt up limit' has been reached and it's now going outside this limit :(

If the belt doesn't need changing, then I would double check the timing :idea: done by inserting three pegs in the appropriate places :wink:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby dclift » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:48 am

Well the Timing Belt was replaced just over 10K miles ago at 80K Miles.

At present although I would like to name and shame, they are still trying to help and they aren’t charging me for looking at the fault codes. So I will push on a bit further.

Before going to Fords I had tried the local independent who could not read the codes either, hence why I am now at Fords.

I can have a look at the timing too, thanks for the pointer.

**Stop press**
Now looks like there is an EGR Valve fault showing.
I will let you know how things progress.
dclift

Postby AndyG » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:30 pm

dclift wrote:
**Stop press**
Now looks like there is an EGR Valve fault showing.
I will let you know how things progress.

I wouldn't worry about the EGR valve too much :idea: unless you have heavy smoke from the exhaust :wink:

It's quite normal for the EGR and the vacuum pulse from the ECU to register fault code "0400" = "EGR flow control"

All that happens is, the ECU has recorded this minor fault (that doesn't stop the engine working, ie; limp home mode)and when you start the engine "the red engine light" will take 3 to 5 seconds to go out, instead of going out immeadiately :D

Let us know if it was the timing and or also make a note of the fault codes read by Fords :!: :wink:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Re: ANy Suggestions

Postby kennystag » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:55 pm

any update un this one
kenny
skye

dclift wrote:Hi Folks,

Can any one here help me out/give me a clue what to try next?

We have a 96 Ford Transit 2.5T Auto, its adapted so my wheelchair bound wife can drive it.

Normally all is fine, until you drive it over 2500 revs at which point the ECU error lamp comes on and the revs drop to 2000 and you start to crawl along in get you home mode .

Stop the engine and start it again and all is OK.

Now I have taken it back to a Ford main dealer who has given me the run around. Firstly they said there was nothing wrong with it as the ECU light was off, I had already told them it goes out once you restart the engine :cry: Then it was you can not read the ECU error registers unless the error light is on, so they test drove it and could not reproduce the fault :evil:

So I take it for a short run bring it back with the light on, they tell me the speed sensor failed and replace it. I take it out again no difference. :evil:

They say there must be a fault in the auto box but they say disconnecting the sensor will solve the problem. Well they did and it still has the same problem. :evil:

Speaking to someone else, I am told that the speed sensor will not put the van into limp home mode. Is this so, but then again its not currently connected!!

I would be really grateful for some advise on what to try next, the Ford Dealer doesn’t seem interested so any help would be gratefully received.

Thanx.
kennystag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FIELDRACING » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Hi :) don't know if u have sorted out your problem now as its an old post but I had exactly the same problem on my 2.5td -94 epic pump motorhome :shock: Started to do it after a garage changed the belt :!: they also blamed something else as it pulled like a train until it hit limp mode ,what I did was take it home and timed it myself :lol: :wink: problem was that the timing hole on the pump can also be ajusted which in turn can put your timing out although they got it sounding sweet and with no smoke :? ...just didnt run for long before limp mode, took a while before I got it right alot of trail an error and road testing but I did it 8) :wink:

clever thing that pump :!: :?: :wink:
FIELDRACING
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits