*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Diesel pump

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Diesel pump

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:27 pm

I have a transit 2.5 di powering a pressure washer now the problem I am having is the small diesel pump on the side of the engine is falling, I assume because it isn't liking the constant heat it is being subject to with the washer being mounted inside a insulated box body and running 10 hours a day right beside the exhaust manifold and the main exhaust then running right beside it again
Now i want to do away with it all together and run a universal electric diesel pump can anybody see a problem with this working :?:
Any particular spec needed to run a di any recommendations of a particular brand good or bad
Any help appreciated
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Diesel pump

Postby F111ORY » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:38 pm

If your Di has a Bosch pump then the lift pump is not required as it can draw fuel. However the pipe work is different on the setups where it draws fuel from the tank. I would replace the mechanical lift pump with a electric pump and place it somewhere cool!
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:56 pm

It has a Bosch pump and only yesterday for the second time in a few months (although was very very low on diesel) after putting diesel in it started sputtering and stopped won't restart so I pulled the diesel filter of and it was empty so tried turned the engine over and no diesel coming out of filter head so had to pack up go home and get a lift pump of my spare engine and it started after about 5 seconds and has run perfect all yesterday and today so it needs a lift pump at least to prime the injector pump it might run ok after this but won't start even after running down 2 different battery's without the lift pump
I assume any universal lift pump will work ok any extra will just be returned to the tank :?:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Islander71 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 pm

You could just raise the fuel tank so its higher than the injector pump - then you wont need a lift pump at all. Some tractors work like that - including my 1965 Ford 4000 still going strong , if you can, keep it simple, that way there is less to go wrong.
Islander71
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby robbie.cee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 pm

An you raise fuel tank up higher that pump?
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm

There is a gauze in the lift pump are you sure its not blocking :?: Put an inline filter before the lift pump or get a non genuine lift pump that you can remove the top to clean out the gauze or do as Rick says bypass it. The choice is yours :) I presume you are using cans to fuel it :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Islander71 wrote:You could just raise the fuel tank so its higher than the injector pump - then you wont need a lift pump at all. Some tractors work like that - including my 1965 Ford 4000 still going strong , if you can, keep it simple, that way there is less to go wrong.

Was thinking that myself but it is isn't really practical with the way it is mounted and the diesel tank I'm using also it is running on 2 separate tanks (soon to be linked together) with a total of 140 litres so I can run it all week without having to fill it with diesel so very heavy to mount above the engine
It will be much cheaper and easier to just bypass the lift pump and fit a electric pump
I assume it won't do any harm to leave the (faulty) lift pump still attached to the engine with out diesel going though it :?:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:50 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:There is a gauze in the lift pump are you sure its not blocking :?: Put an inline filter before the lift pump or get a non genuine lift pump that you can remove the top to clean out the gauze or do as Rick says bypass it. The choice is yours :) I presume you are using cans to fuel it :?:

Don't think dirty diesel is the problem because I very rarely have to change to diesel filter athlough it has blocked after buying red diesel from a local filling station so I avoid buying it there.
No I directly fill it from the pump not from drums again not easy with were its mounted
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby vanfox » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:01 am

I've run mine from a Jaguar SU pump with no probs. It will suck thru' the engine pump, probably best to bypass it tho.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits