*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Brake caliper rebuild

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Brake caliper rebuild

Postby Aardvark » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm having little luck finding the parts I need for the latest disaster and was wondering if anyone has successfully rebuilt a front brake caliper. I have seen a kit of seals on ebay and could at least get on with part of the job while searching for the rest of the missing stuff. That might be the way to go. How difficult is it? Any special tools needed, etc.?
Learning to love rust.........
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Brake caliper rebuild

Postby Mfr » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:25 am

No, its fairly easy but make sure that you can move the bleed nipple first, no point rebuilding a calliper that's dead. Here is a great vid on rebuilding a caliper...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4FzXGrSrmU
In the vid he says not to bother because most likely the piston that will be junk but so long as your kit comes with 2 new ones your good (transit has 2 each side). Be very careful installing the dust gaiter, don't use anything sharp that will pierce the rubber. Use a blunt tool. Also you can use a foot pump with a football fitting to get the pistons out. Oh and use a 6 point socket not a 12 point spanner to get the nipple started, sometimes they are just too far gone, if you can fit a new one with a dab of copper grease on the threads to stop air getting back in during bleeding.

Take your time and you will be fine, I have done my folks mondy's all round and its a big saving on new callipers.
Mfr
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Aardvark » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks for the info. I was beginning to think no one has done it. I have found plenty of new calipers on ebay but they are expensive and no guarantee of getting the right part. The photos are just generic and the sellers probably wouldn't know a Transit from a transvestite so there is no way to be sure what will arrive. I would much rather get a S/H one from a forum member here because you guys are enthusiasts and know what you are doing. The rebuild kit on ebay is about £41 but doesn't come with new pistons. Mine's not seized so I might be OK. Anyway its a lot less money wasted than a new one if it all goes tits up.
The only other parts I managed to find so far is a couple of outer grease/dust caps. Cost me £20 the pair and I hope they will fit. The seller listed them as Mk3/4 but then shows they will fit 1991-2000 so I've got fingers crossed. Thrust washer, hex nut, and locking cage are still just a dream.
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mfr » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:27 pm

I hate to say it but without replacing the pistons its not worth the bother, I would bet my mortgage on them being pitted just like in the video. I got my parts from biggred they are good and they were very knowledgeable.

http://www.biggred.co.uk/brakecaliperre ... _brk204211 Repair kit

http://www.biggred.co.uk/brakecaliperpiston_brp234208 Pistons

Double check before buying!

If you speak to the them you may well be able to get the parts just for one side although its best to do both if you can.
Mfr
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Aardvark » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks for the links and advice. Its getting more expensive by the minute. I went out to the van this morning and there's a whacking great crack (about 25cm) right in front of the driver position! Must have caught a stone on the way home the other night in the rain. And then the OH just tells me she's been scammed on Fartbook to the tune of £200!
:evil: :evil: :evil:
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mfr » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:32 pm

:( Sorry to hear that, by heck what's next?!
Mfr
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Aardvark » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Brexit :(
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knoba » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:23 am

+1 Mfr

Did both mine last year (complete brake system rebuild), enjoyed it, real old skool stuff.

Calipers: stripped, sand blasted castings, smoothrited, pistons were good, bought stainless bleed nipples, new seals and rubbers, & extra red brake grease.
knoba
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:17 am

did you not see my post about the calipers? I have a pair of good used ones in my workshop... one has less than 5000 miles on
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Aardvark » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 am

MinorMatt wrote:did you not see my post about the calipers? I have a pair of good used ones in my workshop... one has less than 5000 miles on

Yes, I did. On the other thread. I asked you for a price, etc. Its getting confusing with my shopping list split into two threads.

I need the RH one.
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Aardvark » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:35 pm

MinorMatt wrote:did you not see my post about the calipers? I have a pair of good used ones in my workshop... one has less than 5000 miles on

Any luck finding the caliper? I'm sorted on everything else except the thrust washer and caliper. :?:
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby linsey_young » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:08 pm

+1 on rebuilding being relatively straightforward. Once I realised that the outer dust seal wouldn't fit because the ridge of metal around the opening was in fact part of the old seal and not the casting, it went well. I'd gotten a pair of replacement callipers which turned out to be almost as bad as the ones which were on the van, so had to rebuild. I managed to get four decent pistons out of the two sets of callipers...
If I knew then what I know now, I'd have taken it to the scrapyard...

Glad I didn't though :)
linsey_young
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Aardvark » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm prepared to to a rebuild but still unable to get hold of a unit to start with. Mine really took a beating and the casting is all chewed up so it would probably be a waste of time doing it.
I'm amazed at how difficult it is becoming to get parts for these vans apart from filters, belts, pads, etc. None in breakers near me and Ford dealers just laugh at this dumb Anglais trying to keep an antique Transit on the road.
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gotgcoalman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Thought you got sorted on the low milage refurb unit.

If I'd have looked a bit harder yesterday I could have chucked this in the box :oops:

IMG_20170209_163949.jpg

IMG_20170209_164021.jpg

IMG_20170209_164047.jpg

I'll soak the pistons overnight and pop them out tomorrow.
Providing the inside of the caliper and pistons aren't as rusty as the outside it's an option.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Aardvark » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:39 pm

MinorMatt was supposed to be finding me one but Since his posting I haven't heard a peep.
Hold fire a while longer until he surfaces again and maybe I know more, etc.
Was there a problem with DPD collecting the box? The tracking message says there is a problem.
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits