*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

No power and a lot of smoke (2.5 DI) :(

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

No power and a lot of smoke (2.5 DI) :(

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:02 am

Morning everyone :)

It's been winter, so the van hasn't moved a lot (either literally, or in terms of tarting it up) so I've been quiet for several weeks. She (he? it is a Tranny...) has been out usually every weekend, but yesterday I hadn't taken her out for two weeks. The battery was flat and I had to jump start it from the car to get her going. But that should be irrelevant to what happened next as there's nothing sophisticated under there that would cause what happened if the battery went flat ...

Got her started, took her out for a nice long 15-20 mile drive around and about. Running great, no problems at all. I stopped at Halfrauds to see if they had any suitable switches to replace the broken interior light switch (of course, they didn't). Got back in the van, started up fine but ... complete loss of power. Idles OK, but won't pull away. By now it was dark which at first made it difficult to see the huge clouds of black smoke coming out of the exhaust, but I could definitely smell something was wrong.

If you increase the throttle (OK it's a diesel so I know it's not really a throttle on a venturi like a carubretted petrol engine would have, but everyone still calls it that), revs climb OK till it gets to an [estimated] 1200 or so revs, and then the RACKET that comes from the engine had me convinced it might blow up on me. Sounded like the worst case of pinking I ever heard, accompanied by clouds of black smoke and no power. I managed to get it home, slowly (about 3 miles). Other drivers were not very happy.

Just about to pop the bonnet and see what is wrong. Most likely causes from what I read are:

a. Air intake blockage, either on the intake itself or at the EGR.
b. Fuelling problem, either lift pump or fuel filter.
c. High pressure diesel pump, although that's not consistent with the sudden appearance of the problem
d. Crack in intake system

Anyone have any other ideas as to possible causes?
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: No power and a lot of smoke (2.5 DI) :(

Postby ceurieusneus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:20 am

To my knowlidge...
Black smoke is not burnt fuel...means to much fuel / to les oxigen (air)
It started up and revs normal so fuel seems ok.
As the filter is not blocking in 20 miles, I would take a look at the air valve between the filter and the inlet manifold.
I got the idee that she is blocked or some connection came loose
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:30 am

ceurieusneus wrote:To my knowlidge...
Black smoke is not burnt fuel...means to much fuel / to les oxigen (air)
It started up and revs normal so fuel seems ok.
As the filter is not blocking in 20 miles, I would take a look at the air valve between the filter and the inlet manifold.
I got the idee that she is blocked or some connection came loose

That's what I am hoping too ... it's either a blocked EGR. Or one the plastic ends on the rod for the EGR butterfly valve broke and fell off ... It was too dark to see last night (I should have thought ... I could have used my phone as a torch).
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KING OF ENGLAND » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:32 am

could be one of the injector tips has broken off and check if one of the 10m bolts hasn't come out inside
the rocker cover(I would go for injector tip)
KING OF ENGLAND
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Oh happy days are here again!

The EGR linkage had worn out and fallen off the EGR butterfly :)

I suppose I could buy a new one ... but it is plastic ends and probably thermoplastic; so I'm thinking I could just heat it up and squeeze it with pliers to make it smaller so it fits again.

Or I could disassemble the EGR and remove the butterfly valve ... but it's raining :P

edit to add: Just had a better idea. PTFE tape on the metal bit ;)
Last edited by CamperVanBeethoven on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ricc » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm

tie the butterfly open with a cable tie.

maplins are reasonable for switches either in store or online .... or fleabay
ricc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:59 pm

ricc wrote:tie the butterfly open with a cable tie.

maplins are reasonable for switches either in store or online .... or fleabay

Yeah. I need to do something about the switch. When I went down to it, the lights had spontaneously gone on overnight.

This is probably why the battery drained.

I might just bypass it, because the replacement interior lights in the van have individual rocker switches anyway, so what's the point of the one on the dash? ;)
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:11 pm

In the end, I went for the 'melt and squeeze a bit' fix. Also, adjusted the linkage so the angles were correct. That's why it wore out and fell off in the first place. Then oiled it and took it for a good run to burn off all the crap in the engine and exhaust. Working nicely now :)
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits