*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil in intake manifold >:(

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Oil in intake manifold >:(

Postby tgrace » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:41 am

Greetings all,

My first post here, and a desperate one! Would be really happy for any advice.

I have an LDV Convoy 400 with a 2.5di Turbo Transit engine. The engine is beautiful, really strong and quick and has been taken care of over the years. Is only on 87,000 miles. I did an oil / filter change at 83,000 I think (about 5 months ago) and cam belt was done at 79,000. I did fuel filter about 1000 miles ago and it transformed into a brand new van again - amazing. I have also fitted a HHO generator which adds even more pop... Sounds healthy, runs healthy (normally), so I don't think there's any problem with blow by / worn rings.

Recently I have been getting some smoke on start up. It was a little at first and a bit rough but when smoke cleared no problems at all. I thought it was valve stem seals at first as it was a small amount of smoke, dark smoke, doesn't smell of diesel, at start up (took it to a car wash, they jetwashed the throttle, broke it, it would go to maximum rev randomly, which I thought may have worn the seals - pedal replaced now :oops: ). But now it's clear that there is oil getting in some other way as the smoke is considerable, lasts for ages, and there is loads of oil coming out of the nut that is on top part of the air intake near the EGR etc.

So... It also looks like there is quite a lot of oil leaking from the turbo area, but not sure where. My guess is that there is oil coming in with the compressed air from the turbo? But I don't know.. There seems like there is SO much coming through, which is causing the engine to run rough. And the oil level is going down considerably now too.

Another issue, was getting an engine light on and van was going into limp mode... Engine was becoming really noisy all of a sudden after running well... I guessed this was fuel filter union issue... Still happens occassionally though. Goes from being fine to engine light / limp mode / loud. Just as a matter of curiosity I inspected EGR valve and it's all very clean indeed. I hope this isn't a pump thing *cries*.

Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks and all the best!

Thomas
tgrace

Re: Oil in intake manifold >:(

Postby twin wheel camper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Pull of the rocker cover and on top of the camshaft there is 4 (I think) small little bolts they are prone to working loose and unless have completely falling out just need to be tightened up and that will most likely cure your oil problem if they have come out completely just retrieve them from the camshaft area and refit them
Don't drive it until this is looked into because it can cause the engine to go full throttle and won't turn off unless you stall it in gear and if it's a automatic your fu**ked :lol:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby tgrace » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Oh right that sounds straight forward.... Thanks so much. I'll check it out in the morning and report back with what I find!
tgrace

Postby gotgcoalman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 pm

Hmmm.....................................
HHO.
Dry or wet cell?
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby allegroequipe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Have the same problem on my mk5 2.5di (non turbo). Same symptoms. Pulled the rocker cover off tonight to replace stem seals and found the banana manifold very wet on the intake which takes the breather from the filler cap. Doing the stem seals anyway but I don't know why I'm getting so much oil into eh top of the engine. No compression issues, still does 84mph. Oil pressure at cold start is 75-80psi driving at 60mph. Drops to 55psi at 60mph when hot and 38psi at tickover. Do these pressures sound too high? Oil pressure relief valve?
allegroequipe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tgrace » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Hey there,

I did the rocker cover / bolt tightening process, and can pretty much tick this off the list of potential problems as it didn't resolve the issue, but the bolts were ever so slightly loose. Thanks very much anyway for the suggestion... Did the tappet clearances anyway so that's a positive - although one of the adjuster bolts shattered completely which made my day rather rubbish, as well as the EGR pipe being unmovable.

I have been scratching my head about it and am certain what is happening is that there is oil in the air supply. When the engine is hot, this oil is burned instantly without much noticeable side effects on the engine performance. When it's cold, the oil runs into the cylinders, collects, and then makes ignition tough on starting from cold or after it's been stood for a while. Another thing is that there is loads of oil collected on the compressed air outlet of the turbo, so I guess this is from the oil being present in the air and is then collecting at that point either when running or off and all settling. So my questions is, how could oil be getting into the compressed air?? My knowledge of the turbo is limited at best... Does this sound like a reasonable assumption??

Also, still not joy with the loud engine issue... intermittent between engine light / loud engine / limp mode and running absolutely fine.

Thanks in advanced..... On and it's dry cell HHO, but I think these issues have been happening since before I fitted the HHO, just not as noticeable.
tgrace

Postby tgrace » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Could it be a PCV issue? Where is the PCV please?
tgrace

Postby tgrace » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:07 am

Hmm.. have checked the filler cap which is a PCV valve? which goes goes to the hose that comes from the air filter to the turbo.. There's a bit of oil coming through... Any ideas why / how to remedy this? Is there a breather hose anywhere?
tgrace

Postby gotgcoalman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:54 pm

New cap / fit an oil catch tank to prevent oil vapor getting into the intake.

Dry cell.
what's the out put (L/min)and amp draw?
how many plates?
KOH as electrolyte?
(I used to dabble with wet cells) with mixed sucess and catastrophic failure :(
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tgrace » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I've ordered a new cap and will either make a catch can or buy one when I have the available funds. The filler cap valve did look to be in good condition, but I guess it's hard to tell with these things. Still not quite sure how the thing works.. Seems like the manifold vacuum would block the crank case opening... Not important really, but nice to know how it works. I have added some photos - you can see the amount of oil that collects every time the engine is left standing... Seems like quite a lot. Do you think this much would be coming through with the vapour? There does seem to be a lot of vapour coming out of the filler neck so perhaps it's possible. I really don't want the turbo to need replacing. I also don't want the cylinders / rings to be worn lol.

Also, I don't want the pump to need replacing. Intermittent engine light and very loud running / limp mode... Any ideas anyone? I thought it was the filter collar.. Tried to read the codes but there isn't any showing when the engine light is off. (Clarke reader)

HHO is 1.6 l/m I think... I have a PWM set to run constantly at 10amps (determined by electrolyte strength). It turns on when it detects engine running voltage - anything over 13.2v or something - and remains off below this, and shuts off if the voltage goes over 14.4v or thereabouts, so it's pretty safe in this way. I can't remember how many plates, the guy I purchased from I think is a rep for HHO Plus from E-bay - I'd highly recommend him, Dr. Eric Pierce - amiable and good with comms etc.

I'm intrigued to know what kind of catastrophe you experienced :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgrace

Postby tgrace » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Here's what I did to the tappet adjuster bolt - yay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgrace

Postby gotgcoalman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 pm

electrical short inside wet cell= :(

Photo-0010Vessel_zps8d6d5aba.jpg

Working in a brick outbuilding about 10x15. :roll:
to say there was a bit of a bang is an understatement :lol:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tgrace » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Lol! At least the explosion didn't happen in the vehicle!

I have a whole new array of problems now, and am very close to scrapping this vehicle.

The other day I was driving and a huge noise occurred, kind of like something air related bursting and then a really really loud whizzing noise ensued which was synchronised with the engine speed, and black smoke issuing gracefully into the nearby traffic. Limp home mode and loud engine as previously mentioned underneath whizzing. Then very close to home, the smoke cleared, the whizzing stopped and the engine went back to normal. Lol.

The next day I tried starting her.. She turned over, fuel surge, initial compression but then dead.... and again and again until a bit of throttle and it chugged loaaads of grey smoke and really really erratic.

I checked timing, and lines up ok with marks made by previous owner. Can anyone please provide timing markings for the DI Turbo engine so I can check against something proper. Otherwise, what the hell would cause this dreadful noise and smoke.

I have check injectors, they all are fine.. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
tgrace

Postby gotgcoalman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:26 pm

never having a td version and only going off my eldest lads experiece with derv turbos.

Check hoses haven't either split of come off.
Turbo might be fubar.(worst case)
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby allegroequipe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Have the same amount of oil collecting in the same place on my di. Thought I'd sorted it but no. All the rocker bolts are correctly tensioned and with the rocker cover off, oil flies up from the the push rod holes (as well as the rocker arms). She gives 80psi on cold start with 5w30 oil.
The only thing I haven't replaced is the oil pressure release valve (can't get hold of one. The plunger moves but I think it has play in it and is catching, would have thought it would still open though. Spring is 55mm long. Less smoke around 50psi when she is hot.
Tried a bypass from the filler cap (as the inlet is at inside) and no oil collected after 400 mile in the catch tank.
What kind of psi are other people getting on cold start and then while running?
allegroequipe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits