*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Brand new indicator stalk no flashing hazard switch

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Brand new indicator stalk no flashing hazard switch

Postby wellingtondane » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi Guys and Galls, first post on here. We have a 1998 mk4 the indicators would not turn off so i bought a new stalk for it, after it was fitted and everything was put back i noticed that the hazard switch does not light up. any ideas please :(
wellingtondane
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Brand new indicator stalk no flashing hazard switch

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 am

Yeah my replacement doesn't flash either.

I just chalked that up to how the cheap ones are built. If you paid £10-20 for yours, it's a non-ford replacement. The Ford ones are silly money new; you might get one second hand, only to find the self-cancelling mechanism is broken (which is why I replaced mine).

You gets what you pays for, and the hazards flashing will be indicated by both indicator arrows going, which I think satisfies the legal requirement for some kind of indication that they're active. (If you can't see the indicators flashing from the driving position - which means, in practicality, a motorcycle - there has to be some visual or audible indication that the indicators are on)

Oh and ... welcome :)
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wellingtondane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks Camper van, no not genuine ford but does flash two arrows on dash, the new switch does not cancel out after turning left only turning right, could it be the plastic bit below the steering wheel that hits it after a turn has worn,
wellingtondane
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 pm

If it's new and it doesn't work out of the box, it's faulty ;)

If you take it off, and experiment a bit ... hold the body and push the lever up and down ... you will see how it works.

There's a whole complex spring loaded mechanism in there. When you put the lever down or up, you will see how the plastic tab in the middle pops out? That contacts the steering column - when you have the lever off you'll see what I mean. The column is cut like a gear, to catch and flip that little bit of plastic.

If the lever is working as it should, then it comes out the same distance whether the lever is down (turning left) or up (turning right).

When turning left (lever down), simulate the action of those gear teeth on the steering column by flicking the plastic bit that sticks out down. The indicator lever should stay down. As soon as you "turn right" i,e, flick it UP, it should spring back to middle position.

Opposite for lever up (right turn); it should stay on while the lever flicks up, and cancel when it flicks down.

If that doesn't work ... it's faulty.

Don't try taking it apart. I did and all I ended up with was a mess. Luckily, I'd bought two. I managed to break the horn wires on the first one. Lesson number two - don't try to tidy any wires on it that you think shouldn't be sticking out where they are ;)

edit to add: I am assuming you did screw it back in tightly. Not having it screwed in properly would also give inconsistent operation...
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:20 pm

I just realised this also gives you enough info to diagnose whether a second hand one pulled from a van actually works.

That is, if you can find a Mk5 left in a scrapyard in this country!

You could try giving this lot a call, or popping in if you're local enough. I have never used them myself ... so if you do use them, let us all know if they're any good :) A secondhand working one might cost you more than a new pattern one. But the hazard button will light up (if the bulb's not gone) ...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=171800&p=1459468
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wellingtondane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Could the part on the steering column be worn that flicks the little button on the end of the stalk
wellingtondane
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:50 pm

Eh ... I can't remember if it's made of metal? If it is made of metal I'd find it unlikely plastic would wear it out! I must confess I never checked what it was made of. It looked like metal to me.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gotgcoalman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:08 pm

The replacement in my mk5 doesn't flash.

it's predecessor (before it died) didnt either.(possibly origonal but i doubt it)

The button for the hazards is black/smoked rather than red.

There's no bulb holder/metal contacts inside.

ford took the bulb and wiring out on later models to save money?

The colar that cancels the indicators is plastic and tends to break/wear. (mine has :lol: )
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:21 pm

So it could be that :) That's what I get for assuming it was metal and part of the column itself

Can you still get them, or is it time to find someone with a 3d printer? :)
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wellingtondane » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:05 pm

gotgcoalman wrote:The colar that cancels the indicators is plastic and tends to break/wear. (mine has :lol: )

I do remember that it looked like black plastic
wellingtondane
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Late genuine ones don't flash either ;)
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby finnon » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:54 am

a few years back when i had my mk5 the original indicator self cancel was broke, it did my head in coz i couldnt hear the ticking over the engine noise. so had a few near misses with people pulling out.

i must have went through 10 maybe more replacement indicator stalks. some lasted a matter of days before they broke. all came from ford although i bought only the first one. it was warranty replacements after that. finally the parts bloke said ohhhh....... hang on a sec..... theres a sub menu on the parts programme....

lets try ordering this one instead.

that one finally worked till the van was scrapped. the final switch ordered had the flashing hazard button. the previous switches that broke all had the black non flashing switch. and the original in the van that was broken had a flashing hazard switch
present van is a 55 reg t280 85ps lwb semi high
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits