*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK3 - Speedmeter sporadic extreme squeeking noise

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK3 - Speedmeter sporadic extreme squeeking noise

Postby axxez » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi there,

From time to time, especially on warmer days and longer trips I am having a really wired and alarming squeeking noise that I thought comes from the front left wheel. Sounds like some break-pad or parts of the break are hitting the disc and the disc is completely out of center. Depending on the speed of the car this changes and slows down when slowing down for example. Gear engaged or not doesn't matter. I would describe the sound as "QQQQUUUUUIIEEEk-QQQUUUIIEEEk-QQUUIIEEEk-QUIEK-QUIEK-QUIEK-QUIEK-QUIEKQUIEKQUIEKQUIEKQUIEQUIEQUIEQUIEQUIEQUIEQUIE!!!!!!!!!!!" when accelerating. If I could drive 300 km/h it might become a clean sinus tone xD

So. This really appears only sometimes. I already let my mechanic check the front left wheel, brake discs and pads are changed, wheel-bearing is fine, brakes are also cold (checking directly after having this problem), no sign of wear so far.
Now my idea is that it might come from the speedmeter cable, although the needle seems to show the speed normally. Is that possible and is there anything I could do about it?
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: MK3 - Speedmeter sporadic extreme squeeking noise

Postby gumgum traveler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 am

Hi i think it is more likely the idler pully on the fan belt or timing belt
if it's not broken don't fix it and Don't panic there is always a solution
gumgum traveler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby axxez » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Hm.. sure? I mean gear engaged or not doesn't make a difference, also meaning that engine rpm doesn't change the noise. Total speed (rolling) does. Shouldn't moving engine parts react on engine rpm?
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mfr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:49 pm

You say the mechanic has checked the front wheel bearing but is he leaving the expansion gap or has he just horsed the bearing nut up tight? that style of bearing is older and some guys don't know how to adjust them just so. If it is on tight I would have the bearing replaced by someone else and carefully inspect the stub axle and hub for damage.
Mfr
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby axxez » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:11 pm

I don't think he made a mistake at that point. It's a good garage, certified Bosch and also did old VW campers, an expedition truck as well as sprinters, real oldtimers etc. Quick and reliable, with normal / medium prices. This is not a mech that doesn't pay his taxes and works with a hammer only. Have had those as well, but in the end (except from the price) I was never satisfied with the work.
Except from that, I also opened the wheelbearing times ago before he checked it and also couldn't find a problem. Another thing that it might not be the bearing is that everything is ok for hundrets of kilometers before the noise comes again, which makes it more difficult :(

Check the sound in the video, as I recorded it some time ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6m9ztfuv1bcnb ... m.mp4?dl=0
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits