*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK5 no heat from heater in cab.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK5 no heat from heater in cab.

Postby kilabyte » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Just got myself a Mk5 SWB and fixing a few bit's on it.
One problem I have is that the air blower works in the cab on all settings, so not the resistor problem.
But the air is totally cold, never comes off cold no matter what setting I have it set to or how long I have been driving.
Temp on gauge says between a third and half heat after a few minutes driving.
I'm thinking maybe back flushing the cooling system with a jet wash may help. Does that sound worth while? Any other ideas / known problems for this?

Could it be a heater control valve. Where is it located and is it an easy job to replace?

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
W (2000) Mk5 Transit. 2.5d (no turbo) SWB
Wigan, UK
kilabyte

Re: MK5 no heat from heater in cab.

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:29 pm

check under the bonnet to make sure the heater pipes haven't been joined to bypass a leaky heater matrix :(
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby vanfox » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 pm

After checking the pipes are connected correctly check they are getting hot. There is no "heater control valve", the water circulates at engine temp all the time, the heater uses air mix to set the heat. Check the controls are moving the diverter flaps. Switch the fan on full blast then check for air at the various orifices as you move the lefthand knob to screen and floor positions. Check the temp changes as you turn the ....temp control. If it don't, the mix flap is either jammed or disconnected. There's pics of the heater on here somewhere, use search to find them.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SparkyJ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 pm

I had same problem, took dashboard out to find a wire had burnt out within a plug. Would never have found with dash in place. The plug was slightly left of steering wheel clipped few inches down from bottom of windscreen. You may be able to access it with instrument panel removed? Good luck if this is same problem? My mk5 smiley is a late '99 with resistor attached to heater motor behind dash, not in engine bay like most.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
SparkyJ

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits