*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.0 pinto no power and wont idle

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

2.0 pinto no power and wont idle

Postby colly 695 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Picked up my mk3 tipper today from getting a load of welding done, its been in the garage for months and was only worked on in their spare time to keep costs down for the repairs. Started up fine, then when driving no power at all......sounds like a tractor!!

Any sort of hill and it will only move in 1st gear at about 10mph with full throttle! sounds like the exhaust has blown but it hasn't - on the flat will go a bit better, once in 4th gear it vibrates let hell. Wont idle either just stalls eventually, i rang the garage up and asked them what it could be - i was told its probably the spark plugs as they had started and stopped it loads of times while it was them and it was only moved round the yard each time - it has the vv carb with automatic choke which seem to play up a bit when cold so in theory the plugs have suffered.
Will hopefully replace them tomorrow - just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.

Cheers
A life without a transit aint worth living

96 mk5 lwb/semi hi roof
90 mk3 pinto tipper
colly 695
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.0 pinto no power and wont idle

Postby robbie.cee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Crappy vv carb still fitted? Ignition timing?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby colly 695 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:09 pm

robbie.cee wrote:Crappy vv carb still fitted? Ignition timing?

Yeah still has the vv on it - usually starts ups fine, auto choke takes a while to go off but it usually does after 5mins or so and then it runs fine.
Garage has told me its the plugs.........im hoping they are right.

96 mk5 lwb/semi hi roof
90 mk3 pinto tipper
colly 695
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:19 am

I'd go with getting the plugs cleaned or replaced, had the same problem after running around the yard on choke. Plugs got fouled.
I had a few pintos before the diesel I have now. I tried a few replacement carbs, Dellorto and Weber 34ICH. Ever after being "tuned" none were perfect. I reverted to a VV from a breaker, no probs at all, pulled like a train.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby robbie.cee » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:41 am

Had a vv on mine put a weber 32/36 on it and it could sit at 100 happily albeit deafening in cab! Defo look into electronic ignition module to replace points and get thos plugs out and in dishwasher at first opportunity or at least leave em in a jar of petrol then burn it off after then wire brush n reset gaps!
Leads too could be cracked...had a bad misfire on mine turned out to be lead from ignition coil to dizzy!!!!

2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby colly 695 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:50 pm

robbie.cee wrote:Had a vv on mine put a weber 32/36 on it and it could sit at 100 happily albeit deafening in cab! Defo look into electronic ignition module to replace points and get thos plugs out and in dishwasher at first opportunity or at least leave em in a jar of petrol then burn it off after then wire brush n reset gaps!
Leads too could be cracked...had a bad misfire on mine turned out to be lead from ignition coil to dizzy!!!!

The dizzy cap and rotar were replaced recently, dont think it has points.

Got a mechanic looking at it tomorrow - got new plugs to put in. Started it today and still runs like its on full choke, revs up but vibrating like mad.
Try and pull away and its like driving with the handbrake on.
Hopefully with new plugs in it will sort itself out

96 mk5 lwb/semi hi roof
90 mk3 pinto tipper
colly 695
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DodgeRover » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Are the plug leads on in the correct order?
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby hornhead » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:29 pm

spray inlet manifold gasket wd40....leak can give very electrical like symptoms
hornhead
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby colly 695 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:59 am

Engine is now running like it should after replacing the spark plugs.........1 of them had most of the ceramic part missing as it had cracked off, so this was the main problem.
Firing on all cylinders and sounds sweet.

Another big issue is that after taking the air box and filter off.....found half of the filter had burned out!! There was always melted parts on the air box since i bought it last year,and it sort of just sat on top of the carb loose, there was only one screw holding it on, so there was never a an air tight seal - its also the first time ive seen the air filter as the truck has been getting a crap load of welding done for the past few months.
By the looks of it this fire happened before i bought it - im sure i wouldve known about it if it happened to me.
So another box and filter on the way - just a little concerned why that happened in the first place and would this happen again if a new bow was screwed tight to the carb??

96 mk5 lwb/semi hi roof
90 mk3 pinto tipper
colly 695
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Make sure you have the manifold heat shield/collector in place AND the flexi pipe to the air filter. The warm air operates a valve to open a flap to assist with cold running. You can get carb icing without it. (Tee shirt).

Plenty of grease on the fixing screws then fix a shower cap over it to keep rain out of the screw recesses or they will rust solid. The bonnet seal will leak.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby colly 695 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 pm

vanfox wrote:Make sure you have the manifold heat shield/collector in place AND the flexi pipe to the air filter. The warm air operates a valve to open a flap to assist with cold running. You can get carb icing without it. (Tee shirt).

Plenty of grease on the fixing screws then fix a shower cap over it to keep rain out of the screw recesses or they will rust solid. The bonnet seal will leak.

It didnt have the manifold heat shield and flexi pipe when i bought it - i assume the heat from the exhaust turns the auto choke off quicker?

96 mk5 lwb/semi hi roof
90 mk3 pinto tipper
colly 695
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Consults manual. The choke bi-metalic strip is heated by the water temp. The air flap directs warm air when cold and cold air when at running temp. Flush the water pipes. Get a heat shield and flexi pipe.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits