*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK5 Transit, alittle info required please :)

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK5 Transit, alittle info required please :)

Postby luke_robinson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi, I have a 1994 mk5 ford transit crew cab recovery truck, looking for a new timing belt kit and water pump for it, not stript the cover of the front yet and just wanted to know if the tensioner was automatic or manual? Engine is the 2.5 early turbo di with a lucas epic fuel pump after reading through some posts on here :D

Kind Regards

Luke
luke_robinson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK5 Transit, alittle info required please :)

Postby vanfox » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Click "advanced search" top right, enter "cam belt tensioner" in the search box, click "Mk 3,4 & 5 and enter, all the details are there. top
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:00 pm

The manual tensioner was replaced on all transit di's to the automatic type because of failure issues so you should be fitting the automatic regardless what's on there now.
Being earlier type it most likely will be the 25 mm belt instead of the later and more reliable 28mm belt but I've heard it can be fitted but the crank pully is a little bit smaller and the belt will rub a little on it at first but soon to rubs of a tiny bit of the belt and should be fine but don't fit unless you are happy with the very small chance it might fail
I personally haven't done this but I've read on here others that had no issues after the little bit of rubbing at the very start.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby luke_robinson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:26 pm

twin wheel camper wrote:The manual tensioner was replaced on all transit di's to the automatic type because of failure issues so you should be fitting the automatic regardless what's on there now.
Being earlier type it most likely will be the 25 mm belt instead of the later and more reliable 28mm belt but I've heard it can be fitted but the crank pully is a little bit smaller and the belt will rub a little on it at first but soon to rubs of a tiny bit of the belt and should be fine but don't fit unless you are happy with the very small chance it might fail
I personally haven't done this but I've read on here others that had no issues after the little bit of rubbing at the very start.

I had gotten worried then when you mentioned the thickness of the belt just had to check :lol: :lol: , Belt kit ive ordered is a dayco brand and is 25mm :mrgreen:

Thank you :mrgreen:

Kind Regards

Luke
luke_robinson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits