*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1996 Ford Transit LWB dashboard speedo lights flickering

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

1996 Ford Transit LWB dashboard speedo lights flickering

Postby jamscones » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi all

I have just recently purchased a 1996 Ford Transit LWB Campervan. Took it for a test trip down to Cornwall before a jaunt across the Channel and I found that the dashboard lights began to flicker and go out. It's just the lights that illuminate the speedometer, fuel gauge and clock. All other lights are working as normal including warning lights and the illuminations behind the heating system. All other systems are also working fine, just a bit awkward not being able to see my speed in the dark :shock:

My first attempt to solve this problem was to trace the wires looking for faulty connections. The previous owner was a bit gadget happy and simply patched in his gadgets to existing wiring and covered with electrical tape. I've gone over the wiring, reconnected them using terminal strips and this hasn't solved the problem.

Second attempt was the 30amp fuse. I changed this as this had blown, which now meant my rear lights were working properly, but the dashboard still flickers.

Any other suggestions? I am a complete newbie to all this electronics and mechanics so any and all matter of explanations would be welcome.

Would like to get this sorted so we can get out over the bank holiday weekend, it's either I sort it or the Mrs' shines a torch in the direction of the dash on our journey :lol:
jamscones

Re: 1996 Ford Transit LWB dashboard speedo lights flickering

Postby V184 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm

probably the bulb holders/bulbs. you can get at them without removing anything :)
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jamscones » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:02 am

I've just tried the bulb holders and found these, is this normal? The pages I read had actual bulbs you slotted in. Not sure if this is standard or some more of the previous owners handiwork but from here I have no idea how to fix the flickering light problem.

Any help you be appreciated, currently have a stripped down dashboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamscones

Postby transit-town » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 am

They're not standard, should have slot in bulbs there
transit-town
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jair33 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:10 pm

If I may chip in.. I am going to change my light bulbs too next week because of flickering/dim lights so have the same question I think.

What type of LED light (maybe internet example?) should be installed in a mk4 instead of the old light bulbs? I would like to be able to buy them before I start disassembling the dashboard, but haven't found out yet which ones exactly I can buy. Also, I read somewhere you cannot change the battery light to a LED because it will cause the alternator do deregulate or so? Is that true?
jair33
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby jair33 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:25 pm

anyone? I don't want to take my dashboard apart without the new light, as the local car shops don't sell LED replacement lights. I see a lot of T3/ T5 led light on the internet. Are they any of those types?

Cheers
jair33
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ricc » Sun May 07, 2017 5:58 pm

the red battery light has to pass current to the alternator to start it charging, so i d not change that one.
ricc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby retty75 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:35 pm

jair33 wrote:anyone? I don't want to take my dashboard apart without the new light, as the local car shops don't sell LED replacement lights. I see a lot of T3/ T5 led light on the internet. Are they any of those types?

Cheers

Hello. Mine are like this one in the photo. T10...
But you don"t have to take apart your dashboard to change this bulbs. You can do it from under the dashboard. It's a little difficult but you can. At least i can do it in my '93 Transit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby jair33 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks both for the answers!

@retty75, mine is also a 1993 transit, so it should be possible! With 'under the dashboard', you mean only unscrewing the glass plate behind the wheel in front of the speedo meter etc? Or literally from beneath the dashboard (so accessing it from somewhere above the pedals)?
jair33
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby retty75 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Yes, you have acces from above the pedals to all the lights , literally from beneath the dashboard. I scrath my hands a little bit but it was faster... Sorry for my english, I am not a native english speaker :)
retty75
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby jair33 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks retty75! I just checked and indeed I have good access from under the steering column. Thanks for the tip!
jair33
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits