*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What a fiasco

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

What a fiasco

Postby Aardvark » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Not strictly the best place to post this but I just had to blow off a bit of steam. There was a knock on the door this afternoon. A Frenchman with a mk7Transit asking if I had a tyre pump. Methinks here's a chance to do a bit for international relations, ie. we're not all Brexit nitwits. So I dig out my wee electric tyre inflator and it had no effect on the right rear flattie so I felt around the edges and listened to find that the air was escaping from a serious tear made by a piece of glass. The guy didn't seem too savvy when I asked if he had a spare. I decided to have a look around and found it under the back just like my smiley. The search for the jack was fruitless so I went and fetched my compact 2 ton jobbie. Couldn't get it under the rear axle so tried lifting by the leaf spring. It was slipping like crazy so I gave it up as a bad deal. He then discovered the Ford scissor jack in a little compartment by the passenger step. It didn't seem too happy to fit into any logical jacking point but when I found it the jack just didn't have the guts to lift the damned thing. So off I trudge to get my big red 3 tonner from the shed. A real animal to shift in a wheelbarrow across my field, etc. but it did the job. Then we played the "get the spare off the bloody carrier" game. nearly half an hour it took to figure out (with a hammer) how to get the L-shaped bit at the end of the cable to go through the hole in the centre of the wheel. Job done anyway. Whoever designed that thing needs to be prevented from procreating just to keep the gene pool from harm. The bachache and cuts were not spent in vain. It turns out he was a clothing salesman and he treated me to a new pair of jeans and some socks for my trouble. :D
Learning to love rust.........
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: What a fiasco

Postby gotgcoalman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Every cloud and all that :D
You can never have too many pairs of jeans or socks.

Half an hour fight with the spare. :(

How come the criminal fraternity can have a spare "away" in a couple of minutes in total darkness :roll:
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: What a fiasco

Postby ricc » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:51 am

changed my spare this week... i think the problem unhooking the cable is down to the build up of rust and crud on the metal lump making it slightly larger than it was when shiny and new.
ricc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits