*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Probably another engine swap thread...

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Probably another engine swap thread...

Postby BLUDGEONER » Mon May 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello. 1st post here, and typically it's for help/advice! 96 mk5 2.5DI 76ps with 90k miles.
Was trundling back south from Cumbria late last night on th M40, first noticed a burning smell (with a hint rubberiness). Turned down the stereo and looked in the mirror to see a fair bit of smoke being lit up by the cars behind me. My exhaust exits just in front of the rear wheels, so wasn't 100% sure at first it if it was engine related or something like bodywork rubbing on a tyre. Eased up on the gas with a view to getting off at the next junction to check it out, when that question was answered. It started making an alarming rattling/knocking noise, accompanied by alot more smoke. Pulled over to the hard shoulder and nursed it - barely ticking over - the couple of miles to the junction. The noise was not constant - more intermittent, would come in and out always with more smoke, no overheating either. Also noticed that revs weren't dropping when off the throttle - only when the rattling was going on I think. First thing I checked when safely off the motorway was the oil level, and it was low - took 3 litres to bring it up within range! Started it up again and it seemed to rev up and run ok and I had vague hopes that I'd got away with it....There were no leaks, and it was definitely not down to neglect, I changed the oil and filter about 1000 miles previous and checked soon after. This was only a few weeks back as we took it to Wales for a few days. It's never previously used much opil between changes in the 20+k miles we've done in it. Anyway - tentatively drove off and it seemed as soon as it was under load 200 yards up the road it happened again, so parked it up and got recovered home. RAC reckoned it's piston rings or valve guide seals which is pretty much rthe sort of conclusion I'd come to - all that oil went somewhere...
So - if it's going to need some major surgery I'm thinking of sticking a 100ps TD lump in there. What I'd REALLY like to do is change it over to the 24V 2.9 petrol with auto gearbox, but that's probably beyond my abilities. going to need help either way, but time is a big limiting factor for me. I'll be looking out for a donor vehicle for the foreseeable. Any confirmation/advice on the symptoms before I commit would be much appreciated. Interestingly, it still runs fine now it's back home and I've moved it into the drive with no problems. I think it doesn't sound quite right - might be my imagination - probably best not to try taking it out for a run until i know for sure what is wrong.
BLUDGEONER

Re: Probably another engine swap thread...

Postby gotgcoalman » Mon May 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Low milage like yours wouldn't normally indicate head gasket.

Top oil up and start the engine then take the oil filler cap off.

is there any "smoke" or oil comming out of the filler hole?
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Take off the rocker cover and check if any of the wee bolts in the rocker shaft are missing :idea:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby twin wheel camper » Mon May 08, 2017 9:33 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Take off the rocker cover and check if any of the wee bolts in the rocker shaft are missing :idea:

That's were I'd start first also almost guaranteed to be the issue and will cost you £0 to sort if you can sort it yourself. It's not difficult just do a search on here it's being well covered.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby BLUDGEONER » Mon May 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks, I'll give those a try - in that order - as soon as I can.
Cheers.
BLUDGEONER

Postby BLUDGEONER » Wed May 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Sure enough - diagnosis was spot on. Started it and took off the fillercap, and it's spitting oil. Whipped the rocker cover off and the 1st bolt is out and lying there. I take it this wants some loctite on it? What torque value should it be tightened to? Going to do the valve clearances while I'm there. Thanks for the help - just hope no permanent damage was done!
BLUDGEONER

Postby Hondekop » Thu May 11, 2017 2:06 pm

What exactly are the "wee bolts", are they in this pic?

Cheers, Kai
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1992 MK4 LWB van, 2.5 TD 101 HP
Hondekop
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby F111ORY » Thu May 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Never had one come loose but I think its 7
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby BLUDGEONER » Sat May 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Update - All back together now, bolt back in and valve clearances sorted. Took it out for a run and it's behaving well - no nasty noises and runs well - except it's still smoking quite badly. Not as much as it did on the motorway sunday night, but much more than it should. Was hoping it was just residual oil in there and would clear itself, but it didn't get any better (took it for about 4-5 mile run). Checked the oil when I got back, and it hadn't used any. Checked the air filter - it has a bit of oil on it, so I'll pick up a new one asap. Cleaned a bit of oil out of the airbox and intake hose too (the hose is not that easy to clean due to the ribbed/flexi sections - got what I could out though).
Do you think it needs a longer run to clear it?
BLUDGEONER

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun May 14, 2017 10:42 am

I would drive away at it and see if it clears, it will take a while to fully clear the oil out, when mine done this I couldn't get it started with the amount of oil in the bores it wouldn't even turn over :shock: and I wasn't able to tow start it because I have the engine mounted in a frame to power a industrial power washer ( the only way of stopping it was to remove the air intake and choke of the air supply because I couldn't stall it in gear ) but after I got it started it smoked like crazy but did clear eventually but since this happened it really messes the oil filter with engine oil but I have being using the same engine now for 18 months most days for 10 hrs plus and hasn't missed a beat so long term it doesn't do the engine any harm.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby BLUDGEONER » Sun May 14, 2017 11:52 pm

Update #2 - Took it out again today for a longer run. Still smoking at first, then gradually started to clear. Now running perfectly well and no smoke! Many thanks for the great advice - much appreciated :D :D
BLUDGEONER

Postby ceurieusneus » Mon May 15, 2017 6:33 am

Diagnose was Spot on!!! SUPER!!! :D :D :D

As i always want to learn
Can anyone explain how pressure was built up in the oil sump. :oops:
Pushing the oil to the intake and burning in the combustion chamber?
Just by a wee bolt under the rocker cover??
Witch one is the wee bolt??
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby BLUDGEONER » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:14 pm

ceurieusneus wrote:Just by a wee bolt under the rocker cover??
Witch one is the wee bolt??

Shine a light into the oil filler tube, you will see the first of the bolts there. That is the one that had come loose in mine.
I've now driven it to Anglesey and back and it was spot on (though it hasn't miraculously got any faster!). Scotland next weekend! Thanks again for the info.
BLUDGEONER

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits