*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Seized Prop Shaft

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Seized Prop Shaft

Postby miginternet » Mon May 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi,

Mk5 1997 lwb

Ran out of ideas on how to split prop shaft to replace centre bearing, seized on good.

Tried the nut as a spacer on the bolt but just won't budge.

Anyone had this problem and managed to be victorious?

Will have to admit defeat and ring some garages within walking distance.

TIA
miginternet

Re: Seized Prop Shaft

Postby vanfox » Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 pm

??? There's no nut involved in the front joint, ( if it's the same as the SWB ). Loosen the bolt until the horse shoe comes out then pull the bits apart. The tab washer will pass thru' the splined sleeve. If it is really stuck mark the flange positions then take the complete shaft off, lay on the ground, spray some oil on it, let it soak a few mins then beat the sh1t out of alternate sides of the UJ bit with a soft faced mallet, or 2lb lump hammer 'till it comes apart. Worked for me.
When it's all back together fill both the mud flingers with spray grease, help keep the bearing clean.
As I said, this worked for me, others may have a better solution.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ricc » Wed May 24, 2017 9:50 am

i read through the procedure in the haynes manual , took it off , laid on ground , large hammer with a block of wood to cushion sorted it no probs

on the other hand i beat the sh*t out of a ride on mower wheel yesterday , even tried a large hydraulic puller and ended up changing the tyre with the rim still on the axle cos it wouldnt shift, normally once the locking bolt is out they just slide off. but assemble without grease and wait 20 years for rust to form .....
ricc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Aardvark » Wed May 24, 2017 5:21 pm

"on the other hand i beat the sh*t out of a ride on mower wheel yesterday , even tried a large hydraulic puller and ended up changing the tyre with the rim still on the axle cos it wouldnt shift, normally once the locking bolt is out they just slide off. but assemble without grease and wait 20 years for rust to form ....."

Been there, done that. And those tiny tyres are a bitch to get on and off even when they're off the axle.
Learning to love rust.........
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby vanfox » Wed May 24, 2017 7:07 pm

You wanna try it on the drive axle of a unit on twins........
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits