*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk5 LWB replacement leaf springs advice needed!

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

mk5 LWB replacement leaf springs advice needed!

Postby TPM961 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi guys, been doing lots of work to my 1999 mk5 LWB over the last few weeks...fabricated new outriggers and leaf spring mounts, repairing the floor and just generally giving it a much needed tidy up!
The nearside leaf springs had a broken leaf so i sourced some replacements from euro car parts. Thought today would be a good day to swap them out, removed the offside and offered it up to the replacement and was a little confused. The centre bolt hole's are in slightly different places. I don't know if I'm just being fussy, but to my eyes it doesn't look right. The other difference is the bottom leaf is thicker, i'm not bothered if the height is increased slightly, i'm more concerned about the axle being pulled forwards and potentially causing damage to the propshaft (is the prop telescopic?) & possibly gearbox . I've not messed about with leaf springs before, any advice appreciated :D

1999 transit mk5 2.5di lwb camper conversion
2019 ranger wildtrak
Quantum 2+2 1.0 ecoboost project
TPM961
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk5 LWB replacement leaf springs advice needed!

Postby Aardvark » Mon May 29, 2017 9:11 am

I am assuming you are replacing both springs. Essential. You don't say what the difference actually measures, but it is clearly going to be a problem to measure distance accurately along a curve. As long as the distance from the forward eye to the centre bolt is the same (or very close) to that of the original you should be OK. The distance from the centre bolt to the rear (swinging) mount is not that important because the swinging compensates for the difference in length when the spring compresses. There are several different spring specs for any given model so unless you buy from Ford using the VIN number for correct I.D. there is no guarantee you have the right ones. But it isn't usually that critical.
Hope this is clear.
Learning to love rust.........
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TPM961 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks,
Yes both springs are being replaced. To compare the springs I put the bolt through the front bush on the new spring and the old one and laid them side by side. I was concerned because the distance between the bolt that holds the springs together and the front bush is closer on the new springs, which would pull the axle forwards. I was struggling to measure the distance, not enough hands! But it's approximately 4mm.
As said above Both springs are being replaced so the axle will be even. Does it matter if the axle is slightly further forwards? This won't damage the prop?
Tom
2019 ranger wildtrak
TPM961
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby twin wheel camper » Mon May 29, 2017 2:22 pm

4 mm will make no difference the prop slides on the centre joint when the suspension compresses anyway so 4 mm isn't going to make any difference in my opinion.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TPM961 » Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm

That was my thinking. I'm leaning towards fitting them and seeing what it looks like. Not exactly difficult to swap them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 ranger wildtrak
TPM961
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mr RVM » Mon May 29, 2017 7:54 pm

twin wheel camper wrote:4 mm will make no difference the prop slides on the centre joint when the suspension compresses anyway so 4 mm isn't going to make any difference in my opinion.

You're right it wouldn't.....(been there and done it).....the bolt head isn't a tight fit in the mounting on the axle anyway....you can normally move the axle forwards or backwards 4 or 5mm on the springs before you tighten the bolts.....take a measurement to the hub centre from a fixed point on both sides to get it as close as is possible to square with chassis.....(Ford only built these vans to + or - 3mm tolerances on the chassis and running gear)
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby TPM961 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:10 pm

I noticed there was a little wiggle room in the mounting plate.
Thanks for your help guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 ranger wildtrak
TPM961
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits