*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Inaccurate fuel gauge on Mondeo clocks

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Inaccurate fuel gauge on Mondeo clocks

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:01 am

So. I fitted Mondeo clocks (over two months ago) and filled the tank back then. It read F.

It got to slightly above about halfway down the gauge before it conked out, leading to having to reprime the fuel system (oh joy!). I didn't expect it to be that inaccurate :P

Now, does anyone know which way round the fuel sender works? Is it low resistance when full, and high resistance when empty? If so, an easy answer presents itself. Put a resistor in series with the sender to bias its reading DOWN. So it may never read more than half full when it's full, but the E reading - which is more essential - would be accurate.

Alternatively, if someone could suggest a different sender unit that might work more accurately that's also a possibility... Or, an adjustment to the clocks. Maybe there's a potentiometer on there somewhere to adjust the range it expects?
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Inaccurate fuel gauge on Mondeo clocks

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:30 am

I remember reading a thread on here about someone who had some knowledge of the electronics of the clocks, and how to convert petrol rev counters to work in the diesel range (obviously no good going the other way as the display doesn't go high enough!). Of course, now I can't find it.

Anyone here know the thread I'm talking about? He was taking about replacing components on the PCB to change how the counter chip counts the pulses. If I recall correctly. And it's a pretty standard timer chip and counting circuit.

I'm just thinking, whoever it was is probably the kind of chap who would also know about the sender unit ;)
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits