*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

HELP! "Engine Running" signal from Alternator

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

HELP! "Engine Running" signal from Alternator

Postby eresseraca » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:48 pm

Hey gusy!

Finished most of my lightweight camper build in the back of the van. I have a Sargent EC160 power supply unit, charger, fuse box package in the back in a cupboard. According to the install guide I'll need an ‘engine running’ (D+) signal from the alternator for the split charge relay. Where do I fasten that wire in the engine room?

Appreciate a super quick reply as I'm struggling to get everything connected before we leave on a roadtrip/camping vacation! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eresseraca

Re: HELP! "Engine Running" signal from Alternator

Postby dyte2004 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:38 pm

There is a smaller gauge wire going to the w terminal on the alternator thats the one you need it controls the battery warning light and will tell your charger there is alternator function
dyte2004
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: HELP! "Engine Running" signal from Alternator

Postby eresseraca » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks a lot! I read some threads after your reply confirmwd for me. Some wrote that it was the grey thin wire, some that it was the other one... so well, I tapped the wrong wire first time, no labeling on my cables or alternator. One is the rev counter I guess, and the other one the engine warning light. So at first my relay made funny noise, tried the other thin wire and it worked.
eresseraca

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits