*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fixing the dashboard switches

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Fixing the dashboard switches

Postby Kjeles » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Three of my five dashboard switches (buttons) did not work. "Could they be fixed?", I wondered.
The Haynes Manual shows how to pull them out of the dashboard, but not how to open them.

IMG_0170.JPG

It took me some time to figure it out. Since I will forget by next time I need to do it, I thought I would place my experience on the Forum. (I will probably be so surprised to see that I posted it myself).

Anyway, pull the button out by squeezing gently parallell to the long axis of the switch (horizontally):

IMG_0166.JPG

You need to squeeze from either side to free the two catches (left and right side) holding the button in place:

IMG_0162 copy.jpg

Pry open the base of the switch:

IMG_0167.JPG

Note that the two clips holding the switch in place will come loose.
In my case, the switches worked fine mechanically, but the points did not make proper contact:

IMG_0169.JPG

I sanded the points a little bit with a very, very fine sand paper and added a minute amount of copper paste. The switches were good as new!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kjeles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Fixing the dashboard switches

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:23 am

Nice little guide :)

Yes I took mine apart when it broke, once I had a replacement. It was the interior light switch.

I could only conclude it was mechanically broken and not latching on (It would go on, but not stay on). Never did figure out why it broke.
Last edited by CamperVanBeethoven on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Aardvark » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Since it is clear and well illustrated I think the moderator should move it to the "Technical How To!!!!" section. :D
Learning to love rust.........
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:37 pm

CamperVanBeethoven wrote:Nice little guide :)

Yes I took mine apart when it broke, once I had a replacement. It was the interior light switch.

I could only conclude it was mechanically broken and not latching on (It would go on, but not stay on). Never did figure out why it broke.

It may not be the switch... early mk5 ones latched mechanically, late ones had a latching circuit in the relay. Late switch in early van gives what you describe
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:46 pm

MinorMatt wrote:
CamperVanBeethoven wrote:Nice little guide :)

It may not be the switch... early mk5 ones latched mechanically, late ones had a latching circuit in the relay. Late switch in early van gives what you describe

Ach it probably was the switch, because it worked fine ... and then it stopped working. And when I put another switch in, it worked ;). You could push and hold it, and the lights would come on ... and then you'd let go and they'd go off.

It would also switch itself on with no intervention (leading to a flat battery once) after I'd been fiddling with it trying to get it to switch on.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits