*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK5 2.5td power steering pump pivot bolt

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK5 2.5td power steering pump pivot bolt

Postby barryorbik » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Guys, We are in Cornwall on holiday in our MK5 smiley based motorhome and the long pivot bolt on the power steering pump has sheared where it enters the captive nut. I removed the sheared section and tried a local garage for a replacement but the Ford one they obtained for us is 15mm too long and does not have the washer flange under the head. Does anyone have access to find the correct part number for the correct bolt. I have fitted the replacement by using a thick spacer nut as nothing to cut new bolt to lenght. Appeciate your help with this.
barryorbik
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: MK5 2.5td power steering pump pivot bolt

Postby knoba » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 am

Can't help with the part number.

If there's room on the thread; you could cut the bolt to the right size or simply pack it out with spacing washers to complete your journey.

I got tired of this happening to mine so re-machined the fulcrum assembly to M10. The cast pump body had also worn a depression in the steel engine block bracket (rear most hole) through vibration. Welded in new stand-off pad, on bracket, and re-machined both faces.

It's a pathetic arrangement by Ford. They should have at least sleeved the pivot. The adjuster mechanism also leaves a lot to to be desired.

HTH.
knoba
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Bulletguy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:28 pm

I've just had exactly the same problem after my van took a right battering driving lots of roads undergoing repair in Lithuania. I was 230 mile from the Polish border so made for there as i knew i'd get someone to "sort" it.....but wasn't expecting a mechanic to turn out at 6pm on a Saturday! He spotted it in minutes and the thread was badly stripped.

Rather than wait until main Dealers opened on Monday he turned a new bolt, threaded it and the job was sorted. Charged me just £30 for time and labour so i gave him £40.
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby barryorbik » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks guys for your replies. We have just arrived home with the new bolt and the 10 mm spacer nut fitted, so now we are safely home again I can start trying to find the correct bolt or at least reduce the length of the new bolt and fit a suitable washer. I will have a look at the casting etc while I have it apart again, as we did have to cover 50 odd miles with it rattling around so it may have caused some problems.

it looks as though we may have to undertake a camping holiday in Poland next year, as it seems the still have proper mechanics and spares over there!

Thanks again

Barry
barryorbik
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Bulletguy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:54 pm

barryorbik wrote:Thanks guys for your replies. We have just arrived home with the new bolt and the 10 mm spacer nut fitted, so now we are safely home again I can start trying to find the correct bolt or at least reduce the length of the new bolt and fit a suitable washer. I will have a look at the casting etc while I have it apart again, as we did have to cover 50 odd miles with it rattling around so it may have caused some problems.

it looks as though we may have to undertake a camping holiday in Poland next year, as it seems the still have proper mechanics and spares over there!

Thanks again

Barry

Can recommend it Barry. Toured Poland for years now and there are lots of small businesses here doing Garage mechanic work. Worth mentioning too that Transit parts are plentiful in Poland....also Germany where my local dealer in UK had to contact when i ordered a pair of new mudflaps! Apparently that's where the stock of Ford parts is now held.
Bulletguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanfox » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:48 pm

Don't suppose they have any new Smiley shells........?
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby barryorbik » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi All,

Well a trip to our local Ford Transit dealership did not help as they could not trace the bolt from their system and kept coming up with the 130 mm bolt (6004135)as an alternative but it is listed as an alternator bolt. I have now found a nice alternative and freely available bolt which is used to retain the water pump on a Land Rover (FC108247) and apart from it having a 10 mm head it looks the same and fits perfectly and the real plus is the Ford 130 mm bolt without the flanged head is £13.82 whereas the genuine Landy bolts are available on E Bay and at their dealers for less than a fiver.

We are going to Germany in September for our first motorhome trip abroad but Poland does sound very tempting for a trip next year.

Thanks for all your help and advise.

Barry
barryorbik
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits