*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Thinking of buying Mk4 (1995) camper and need advice

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Thinking of buying Mk4 (1995) camper and need advice

Postby *w-r-u* » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi all

This is my first post here (second now as I also put this in the camper section) and I was really after some advice on what to look for when inspecting a camper I am interested in and whether it is a good deal. I have been told that the vehicle has recently been serviced although that it needs new cross members and the cills have gone. It is on the market for £550 although I think I can get it lower. The current owner says she has been quoted £800 to get the work done to pass MOT.

I have looked at the MOT history and have shown it in this message. I am a bit confused by the MOT's prior to the one that it most recently passed. It looks as though they put it through three failed MOT's last year before it passed in Sept. The things it failed on prior to passing look pretty serious although I am not a mechanic or familiar with vans. Does this mean the problems were fixed before the MOT in Sept?

I have a friend who is a welder who should be able to so the work cheaply although I am not sure how technical this work is and if doing it is realistic.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

*w-r-u*
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Thinking of buying Mk4 (1995) camper and need advice

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:02 pm

scrap it :D
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby *w-r-u* » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:22 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:scrap it :D

OK, thanks for the input.

So even though I could probably get it for £400 and get the welding done by a friend cheaply I should still not even bother?

Also what about the previous MOT's can you explain how some were fails and then the corrosion issue wasn't picked up in the following MOT that it passed?
*w-r-u*
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ned » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Its worth a gamble at 400 sovs, at least you know what is required for an mot, you have a couple of months to look for and fix any issues sovs allowing. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jonochap » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:59 pm

If you have a friendly mechanic you can take with you, it's worth a go...maybe the one who said they can do it for £800 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby twin wheel camper » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:17 pm

*w-r-u* wrote:
bigjohnthomas wrote:scrap it :D

OK, thanks for the input.

So even though I could probably get it for £400 and get the welding done by a friend cheaply I should still not even bother?

Also what about the previous MOT's can you explain how some were fails and then the corrosion issue wasn't picked up in the following MOT that it passed?

Dont listen to him :roll:
At £400 you can't really go wrong, at least go and take a really good poke around under it or if your not confident bring you welder friend and let him see it and give you a better idea if it's something he could put though the test again this year.
Make sure and pull up the rubber mat in the cab area and the 4 inner arches need to be carefully checked over.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 pm

:lol: its f*** just read the mot sheet held together by baked been cans glued on rusty metal no doubt :P
The supreme being is claiming it back bit by bit :lol:

£400 would be better spent on a holiday in Pyongyang
Hth
Allcock
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby *w-r-u* » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:46 pm

OK, so conflicting information here but thanks all the same.

Either, forget about it as it is f***ed or give it a go you have nothing to loose at that price.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
*w-r-u*
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Kjeles » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:05 am

In my view, the photos of the interior are more decisive than the MOT reports. If it had been a clean, original camper, I could see doing a fair bit of mechanical maintenance -- including welding -- to salvage the van. Brakes, wheel bearings, etc. are easy to fix. The rusty cross members can also be replaced. But with the home-made furniture shown on the photos, the van does not attract my attention.
Kjeles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ricc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:49 am

wouldnt touch it with a bargepole

had a load of welding done last year , needs more done now.

patch welding to get it to scrape through an mot wont last, a couple of years the bits the patchs were welded to will have rusted away.
been there got the tee shirt.

the risk with campers is when the floor/ rear arches go youve got to strip out a lot of the inflamable interior fittings/ insulation to do the welding.

youll be spending a couple of grand over the next couple of years.... anything a few years younger is likely to be just as bad.... after 2000 ish you run int electrickery problems aswell. and camper van prices shoot up as you get to newer ones.

inmo at that end of the market youre better off with a caravan than a camper van
ricc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby *w-r-u* » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:29 pm

ricc wrote:wouldnt touch it with a bargepole

had a load of welding done last year , needs more done now.

patch welding to get it to scrape through an mot wont last, a couple of years the bits the patchs were welded to will have rusted away.
been there got the tee shirt.

the risk with campers is when the floor/ rear arches go youve got to strip out a lot of the inflamable interior fittings/ insulation to do the welding.

youll be spending a couple of grand over the next couple of years.... anything a few years younger is likely to be just as bad.... after 2000 ish you run int electrickery problems aswell. and camper van prices shoot up as you get to newer ones.

inmo at that end of the market youre better off with a caravan than a camper van

How about if I just want to use it until next August when I will sell it? I would abviously need to get it through the MOT. I am not a welder or have much knowledge of MOT's so this is what concerns me.
*w-r-u*
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:45 pm

once something starts needing welding its on a very slippery slope to transit hell
where it will spend eternity being boiled in 3000 degree demon semen
if you could weld it yourself and had time to spend/waste fanning around with it ....
depends on how much you want it ?
so do you ?
do you want it ?
huh?

you want it dont you :P :lol:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby vanfox » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:05 pm

I wanted a 4.11 diff. Found one but had to buy the V reg van it was in. OK, paid £200 for it thinkin' get the diff, scrap the van. It had been standing in a field for a while. Got it home on a trailer, had a look underneath with a tapping stick. Plenty of rust but not bad enough to scrap. That was 4 years ago next month. OK, I own a mig and can ....patch where necessary. Every year my MOT bloke cringes when the shed is booked in for a test. Every year it eventually passes.

The only MOT that matters is the current one.

My point? If you want a cheap but reliable Smiley be prepared to either mig it yourself or have a friend mig it for you.

Take your welder friend and get an opinion as to the work needed. If he says forget it....forget it.
If you like the furniture haggle a good deal starting at the scrap value.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby *w-r-u* » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:10 pm

vanfox wrote:I wanted a 4.11 diff. Found one but had to buy the V reg van it was in. OK, paid £200 for it thinkin' get the diff, scrap the van. It had been standing in a field for a while. Got it home on a trailer, had a look underneath with a tapping stick. Plenty of rust but not bad enough to scrap. That was 4 years ago next month. OK, I own a mig and can ....patch where necessary. Every year my MOT bloke cringes when the shed is booked in for a test. Every year it eventually passes.

The only MOT that matters is the current one.

My point? If you want a cheap but reliable Smiley be prepared to either mig it yourself or have a friend mig it for you.

Take your welder friend and get an opinion as to the work needed. If he says forget it....forget it.
If you like the furniture haggle a good deal starting at the scrap value.

Useful stuff, thanks. What is the scrap value of a van like that?
*w-r-u*
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby vanfox » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:31 pm

I'd bid £100 for it, see what your welder friend thinks.

My last scrapper had no engine and gearbox, scrap man paid me a tenner for it.

That's after I sold the engine and gearbox for £200, PAS for £75 and kept two as new tyres.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits