*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

wiring window wiper pump

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

wiring window wiper pump

Postby coeno » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Hello, just noticed the fluid pump for my window wiper of my 1987 Transit is not working any more.

While checking the resevoir it is full, the pump does not deliver any fluid. The lines are cleaned and compressed air blown clean aswell.
When short cut the pump via the battery it does work, and spins nicely around.

Also the lights, on same wiring loom, do work fine. I can not find an fault in the wiring itself having it checked everywhere outside the dash.
Also the switch unit at the stearing colum is cleaned and the connectors are checked aswell, i can not see anything wrong with it.

When pressing the wiper butten for cleaning fluid i can see Inside the mainswitch an copper plate pressing on to 2 small black pieces of carbon/coal connector seats ???
I can not see any metal on these seats making the connection to the copper plate from the pressing button at the top of the lever. Is there some metal missing of the seats or are these seats made from pure carbon/coal.

????

How can i short wire everything getting the pump working again whitout getting my dash out and making an new wiring loom.......

Please advice
coeno
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: wiring window wiper pump

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:50 pm

I'd do this ...

1. Take a side bulb, or whatever, put long wires on it, put them onto the wires to the pump. You can now fiddle with the wires and switch and, if your line on the bulb is long enough, see if you can get it to work at all, fiddle with wires etc.
2. Maybe just buy another stalk and swap it in. It's not a hard job. You can probably get pattern ones fairly cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT- ... 2051411475

By the way that looks exactly the same as a Mk5 one to me ;) Perhaps someone can confirm mk3/4/5 are all the same

3. Then if it still doesn't work ... rip apart the dash :D
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits