*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Snapped turbo - can someone recommend a seller please?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Snapped turbo - can someone recommend a seller please?

Postby TransitTrucker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Just found the turbo flange snapped on my Transit 2.5TD in my ancient motorhome (year 2000). It has been like this for a while. Probably, since the last mechanic overtightened the turbo and snapped a fixing screw clean off. The uneven torque and considerable but normal vibration finished her off.

I see a lot of imported turbos for this model at around £170 - £190 from UK eBay dealers. A great price but are they a reasonable buy or am I about to do a load of work to install Chinese junk that will fail in 6 months.

Anyone have any experience of buying one please?

Can anyone recommend where I can buy a complete UK only unit? I need the whole unit as the flange is literally snapped in two.

Thanks in advance.

Terry
TransitTrucker

Re: Snapped turbo - can someone recommend a seller please?

Postby derv23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:34 pm

Could it be welded back together , drill out snapped screw and replace.
Can buy a decent stick welder for £190. Unless the turbos blown , then fair enough replace
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TransitTrucker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Not sure that the heat of welding is a good thing for turbos. It is probably possible to do but it would have to be stripped down. It may be easier to purchase a new one if I could just find a trustworthy supplier.

Terry
TransitTrucker

Postby TransitTrucker » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:21 pm

Just ending the story in case anyone can make use of my dodgy experiences.

Reason for snapped turbo were 2 fold.

1) Someone had broken off one of the three turbo retaining set-screws.

2) Quikfit had changed the front exhaust down-pipe. They had fitted the exhaust such that it was out of line with the exhaust manifold thus straining the join at the turbocharger. The 2017 exhaust part is a slightly different shape and when pushed into its old retaining fixings it is at an angle of about 12 degrees from true. They must have really heaved on the exhaust to get it to use the existing Transit retaining ring. Plus, they did not use a new gasket between turbo and exhaust flange. So, you have been warned.

I bought a really nice turbo on ebay from a UK based supplier. TRANSITPARTSUK International Parts Ltd.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT- ... 3f77d8f27b

It fitted without incident. All gaskets were included. It is a chinese manufactured part but at least I have a UK supplier to fall back on.

Good luck

Terry
TransitTrucker

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:21 am

Very important that the downpipe support at the gearbox doesn't put any strain on the turbo joints.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby TransitTrucker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Jim Archer wrote:Very important that the downpipe support at the gearbox doesn't put any strain on the turbo joints.

Jim

I wish someone had told that to quikfit. They really should have known better.

I manufactured a replacement bracket to fasten the down-pipe very near to its old fitting. Not hard. The new fitting holds the pipe at the right angle and takes the strain off the turbo-fixing. I am off to Spain soon. I don't want any upsets half way up a mountain.
TransitTrucker

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits