*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Selling an MK3 camper

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Selling an MK3 camper

Postby ivamccartney » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:49 pm

I got an old MK3 (1991) camper for free, had the idea to repair it and either use it, or sell it. As sometimes happens, life had a surpruse up its darn sleeve (my dog went missing, still searching for her) and the camper is sitting ,forgotten and more or less in pieces, in my back garden.
Yesterday I got a knock on the door - someone had seen it over the fence and wants to buy it. He is offering £300, as seen.
Now, I know just the engine in it is worth a good £250 but, on the other hand, the drive shaft is gone (the key had broken inside the ignition, can't be taken out), it lacks brake calipers, because the old ones were pure rust and the new ones I got were the wrong model, it's a tad dirty inside, doesn't have matching front seats, is a left-hand drive, I was told that whoever had connected the batteries had done a very creative (if a bit iffy) job, the starter battery doesn't seem to charge, even though the alternator seems fine, the top vent has been taped up, because it was leaking... the list goes on.
On the other hand, it has almost brand new solar panels and starter battery, 4 as new tyres, and I drove it from the far North of England to Cambridge without a glitch, even though it had sat in someone's drive for 6 months before that.
So, my question is - do I accept the £300 and feel grateful for it, or do I stick it on Ebay and hope for more, risking to probably get a fiver for it instead?
Thanks.
ivamccartney
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Selling an MK3 camper

Postby Keef » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:47 pm

If it's a proper camper, it should always make more than £300 but you haven't made it very easy to move with no calipers or drive shaft which will put a lot of people off.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby CamperMad1 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:54 pm

I have a mk3 1999 transit camper that id like to put a new engine in. If only i had one and a man to install it :-(
A
The good thing about neighbour is he doesnt have transportation problems. But selling for spares will surely bring you more than 300.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
CamperMad1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby caseadrian509 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:55 am

Half way throw my camper van conversion some one on the street offers me good money for mine but I soldered on and finished it is had meny times I felt there was to much to do I have finished mine now and bin away again and looking fallward to Gaydon next weekend and if your next door finished it you would see it every day give it a week do a easy job on her or wash hear you soon will be back in love hope you find your dog

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
caseadrian509
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:01 am

ivamccartney wrote:So, my question is - do I accept the £300 and feel grateful for it, or do I stick it on Ebay and hope for more, risking to probably get a fiver for it instead?
Thanks.

If you set a reserve on it of, say, £500, then you risk getting £500 or nothing. Just saying ;)

If it fails to sell at that, lower the reserve and relist until it sells.. of course :)

Sounds like it needs a lot of work!
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby jonochap » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 am

If he's a nice person and going to put it back in the road if he can, why not? If you think he's just going to strip it and make more money than you, maybe he has the time to do that where you may not...good luck finding the dog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ivamccartney » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:48 am

Thank you all for the replies.
He mentioned he would probably use it for spairs - likely to get more money for it that way.
Good idea about the reserve. I seldom use eBay, so didn't think of it. Thank you.
ivamccartney
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MikeHamling » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 am

Put it on ebay. much better that it stands a chance of being put back on the road than broken up for parts. Campers are worth keeping!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Owner of MK6 (Dec 2000 early facelift) LWB hightop motorhome conversion. 2.4l duratorq diesel.
MikeHamling
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanfox » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:07 am

Does it have a long MOT? Guess not. How many feet of welding will it require to pass an MOT? Do you have a Mig welder?What demand is there in the UK for a left hooker? I have a similar project, minibus, which needs both chassis legs repairing. It is now my source of spares and a lockable shed. It also has a good turbo engine and new discs. Her in doors wants it gone, decisions, decisions! Unless you can do all the work yourself I'd let it go for what you can get.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ricc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:46 am

as said above lack of brakes , drive shaft and mot will put a lot of people off,

if you dont use ebay much a camper van isnt the place to start.

only you can decide if the cash offer is good enough to do away with the hassle of breaking it or repairing it yourself.

how much earache you get from her indoors is another factor to concider.
ricc
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ivamccartney » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:28 am

Haha, I *am* the her indoors. :D And I'm not good at welding at all, was supposed to use a friend to help, but he got some family health troubles, so that got put on hold.
I decided to accept the offer, buyer went up to £375, not too bad. I do hope he will fix it, instead of breaking it. It's a good van!
Thank you all for the advice.
ivamccartney
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby jonochap » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Nicely done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Owner of not so troubled puk :)
jonochap
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic