*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ACC power for aftermarket heated seat, where to tap?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

ACC power for aftermarket heated seat, where to tap?

Postby eresseraca » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:21 pm

Another electrical upgrade question :)

My van has a heated drivers seat. I've installed an aftermarket heated seat kit for the passenger double bench, it came with it's own wire harness and relay. I've got it all wired up and switch fitted into the dash, but I'm missing a good ACC power source for the positive wire.

It already has a 15A fuse on it, I presume that it will draw quite a bit of current so I can really tap the ACC on the back of the stereo for this one, as that's already tapped for a few other extras. The 12V socket was one idea, but that one is wired to work even without the key in the ignition so won't work.

I fitted the switch for the aftermarket heated seats in a blank switch, next to the stock seat warmer switch. The blank had an unused connector from the wiring loom fastened to it on the back. I presume this one would have been used for the second seat warmer if fitted from factory.

Could I maybe tap one of the wires that goes to this connector to get a ignition switched positive?

Thanks in advance for any help on this! :)
eresseraca

Re: ACC power for aftermarket heated seat, where to tap?

Postby AndyG » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:06 am

eresseraca wrote:
Could I maybe tap one of the wires that goes to this connector to get a ignition switched positive?

Thanks in advance for any help on this! :)

That's what I would do, rather than use the stereo.
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby eresseraca » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks AndyG for the input!

Any idea which is the positive wire of this connector? Photos below, there's four wires... I have the Ford TIS disc and checked through the wiring schematics for the Mk5 and while I found most wirings included there, I didn't find the heated seat connections on any of them so I have no idea which one of these four wires would be positive. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eresseraca

Postby AndyG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 pm

Without taking mine apart, I wouldn't know.
First check you have the fuses in the fuse box, then with ign. on, use one of those cheap 12v test lamp screwdrivers, crocodile clip on any metal part of the van and prod away :idea:

If you still can't, let me know and as soon as I can, I'll pull a switch out of mine and let you know.
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby eresseraca » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Finally got around to this with the 12v test lamp screwdriver, two positives... ACC power for the button lamp presumably and one wire the was behind the seat warmer fuse. Connected the aftermarket seat warmer, and have a factory fitted one in the drivers seat. Tried to run them both quickly and so far fuse is holding up. So far so good 8) thanks AndyG!
eresseraca

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits