*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK3: Red batterie symbol flickers- temp&fuel indicator loss

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK3: Red batterie symbol flickers- temp&fuel indicator loss

Postby stieevo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Hey, I bought a 1989 Ford Transit Transporter, converted into a camper. I did some work on it, and then run 3000miles without problems. But there is one thing that bothers me:

Sometimes (lets say 10% of the time, sometimes when hot, sometimes when cold, dry or rainy..., I see no pattern), my van does the following:

The Indicator at the dashboard for the charing, the battery symbol, starts to glow. Sometimes just very slightly, so you can just see it in the dark. But here and there it gets more, and I can see that the fuel and the temperature indicators are affected aswell. The temperature indicator goes down almost completely, the fuel indicator ~25%.

I did check the electrical system, all seems ok. I installed a voltage-instrument to check what the generator does, and I see no problem. If I got the lights out the voltage is mostly between 13.3 and 13.8V sometimes rising to 14V. When I have the problem, the voltage is mostly on 13.8V. Both batteries are fully charged from the generator, even after a ride of several hours with lights on and constant problems, its still full.

I did check all cables of the 2nd batterie in the back, the generator and all cables under the hood. The dashboard (not the usual one, its fittet with one for lorrys) i did not yet remove, since everything else works.

Here in austria the transit is a rare car, and so I hope here in the forum I can get some tips and hints. Thanks for helping!
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: MK3: Red batterie symbol flickers- temp&fuel indicator l

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Schutzkontakt ist krank, vielleicht?

(Sounds like a bad earth to the instrument cluster, anyway. Long time since I did German at school but I try to use it when I can remember it :D)

Longer answer: If the earth is not good, then the voltage levels from the thermostat, fuel sender unit in the fuel tank, and the alternator would all change. Which would lead to all three changing level. That's why I think it could be the ground connection..
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stieevo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks, I think that makes sense. I am too busy lately to care about little problems on the van, but I will update if I found time to check it
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby stieevo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Update: My flickering light came from a bad contact to one of the fuses in the fuse box. just pinched in the contact, no more problems.
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits