*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK4 Transit wont start after replacing starter motor

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: MK4 Transit wont start after replacing starter motor

Postby gotthebug » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 am

MinorMatt wrote:No idea how the PATS system was bypassed.

The only way to do it is to fit a non PATS ecu, or fit a new ECU with coded PATS module and keys

By putting 12V accross the stop solenoid you may have fried it, it runs on a Pulse Width Modulated basis.

I would start by checking fuses 32 and 33 and the fuse in the auxillary fuse box in the engine bay. I would then fit a non PATS ecu (PM me for info) and hope you haven't killed the stop solenoid.

Thanks MinorMatt, PM sent
gotthebug
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby go2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Get it ready to crank it over but b4 u do I'd try squirting a wee bit of easy start
Into the air intake the turn ya key ;)
go2
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby gotthebug » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:14 am

go2 wrote:Get it ready to crank it over but b4 u do I'd try squirting a wee bit of easy start
Into the air intake the turn ya key ;)

Hi go2,
Tried aero start with no result just still tries to fire up but wont start....Which seemed strange as I thought any diesel would fire up at least for a short time on easy start or similar....

Interestingly I just removed the computer from under the dash boot today and tried starting it without this connected, exactly the same as with the computer plugged in as to without it in the van at all, I did find this very strange which makes me think the computer may be the issue...
gotthebug
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Keef » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:11 am

I would double check ALL of your fuses, this sounds very similar to MinorMatt's van when he lost the keys at Dunton.

Bypassing the PATS by 12v direct to stop solenoid was tried and after that, even when he had his spare keys, it wouldn't start.

Turned out to be a blown fuse probably from the bypass attempt.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby gotthebug » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:51 am

Keef wrote:I would double check ALL of your fuses, this sounds very similar to MinorMatt's van when he lost the keys at Dunton.

Bypassing the PATS by 12v direct to stop solenoid was tried and after that, even when he had his spare keys, it wouldn't start.

Turned out to be a blown fuse probably from the bypass attempt.

Hi Keef,
Thanks for your input, I will go back and check again just in case. The fuses I have found are all good and it is just the main fuse block under the dash and then one small fuse block (4 square fuses) beside the battery under the bonnet, I am not missing anything am I like some other fuse block somewhere am I..??
I also checked the relays in the main fuse block under the dash and they appear to work when power is put across them.
gotthebug
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby baxi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:48 pm

you could try spraying fuel into the inlet manifold with a garden spray , that should get the past the pump and fueling problem ? .
baxi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits