*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK3 2.5d: Engine stops and wont start

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

MK3 2.5d: Engine stops and wont start

Postby stieevo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:55 am

Hello guys,

my 89 Transit Van with 2.5d Engine and Lucas injection gives me a headache. (I am just mooving my appartement, so its really a pain)

Mostly it runs super smooth, but sometimes, so far always when its hot outside the engine stops out of nowhere.
Following things happen:

1.) Motor starts run on low RPM in idle, the car is shakeing
2.) When I push the throttle, nothing happens (or when lucky, it takes a while to react)
3.)Motor stops completely at some point

To restart the Engine, I had to use Break-Cleaner to spray it in the air-intake. This helps not too much when engine is hot, it starts but it fails again soon. If engine is cold, all is fine after a little spray.
My battery is full, and the starter is in good condition. I guess there is not enough gas injection. But how is it controlled on this van?

Please help, I dont even want to try to go to the dealer as I heard bad stories.

Thanks a lot!

Stefan, Austria
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: MK3 2.5d: Engine stops and wont start

Postby Keef » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 am

Try the leak off mod
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby twin wheel camper » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 pm

First thing I'd do is next time it's playing up take off the diesel cap and see if there is vacuum in the tank, it sounds as if it's starving of fuel and the breather in the tank might be blocked.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jim Archer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:22 am

One of the fuel inlet side fittings on either the fuel filter or the pump is leaking and drawing in air.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby stieevo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Hey, thanks for the answers. I didnt dare to drive the van in the city anymore, but I checked the breather valve.
I dont know if it was completely blocked, but after cleaning it works much better, that I can say.

The pipe comming from the tank to the filter, and from the filter tu the pump looks in good condition, also the fittiongs. Not a sign of any brittle material, loose conection or a drop of diesel.
But from the same hose as the fuel pipe comes to the filter, there goes a pipe to a box wich is situated above the battery. Its all filthy and sure there is something leaking. What is this and could it cause this or another problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby twin wheel camper » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:10 pm

That's not standard transit and I've no idea what it is maybe a non return valve :?
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stieevo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:29 pm

@ twin wheel camper: yes, I think this could be the non return valve from the tank. One pipe comes from the tank, the other goes into the engine air intake. So it could be that the fumes get sucked in. How was that build originally?
But if this is just a valve to vent the tank, why is there so much dirt and diesel? Could it be, that if the tank is fully filled, and the car is in the sun, and the valve is leaking, that there is acutally diesel comming out and thus attracting the dirt to stick?

Sounds a bit weird, but maybe over many years this could actually happen. Tomorrow I have time, so I propaple will unmount and clean it.

Thanks so far
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Its a reservoir for the cold start plug fitted for cold climates ,doubt its your problem.Have you changed the fuel filter :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby stieevo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:10 pm

@ bambi mk 1: thanks for the info. Googled the reservoir, and this makes sense. Also there is a thermostat plug, so I am pretty sure it was fitted long time ago and its now leaking.

Yes, I did change the fuel filter about 4 monts ago. I had problems to get the engine running after the change, but since that I run it about 5000km and I am confident its installed properly.
Today I will make a test drive, if the cleaned breather solves the problem. I will give an update. Thanks for the help
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby gotgcoalman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Is it a genuine filter or aftermarket one?

I've had issues with non genuine ones a month or so after fitting.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby stieevo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:08 pm

@ gotgcoalman: its not genuine, its labeld with BSG. Did you have the same symtoms?
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby gotgcoalman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Yes i've had (in the past)

Bad starting/poor running and failure to start shortly after (a month or two) when
using non genuine filters.

They seem a bit hit and miss with the DI.

Some will be fine from 1 change to another and some cause problems shortly after fitting.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby stieevo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:33 pm

So short update. The cleaning and refitting of the breather for the tank didnt help.
I did a short trip out of the city, all went fine. After a 15min ride I had a loss of power when accelerating, then the engine was starting to starve almost when in idle.
Same as before really, it died-out and I had two restart with break-cleaner twice on a traffic light. Its really a pain, barely made it back to the garage.

Since my problem occurs only after the engine runs for a while or is still hot, I think a negative pressure in the fuel system is still something that makes sense.
Is there a way to check the funtion of the filter, or should I just throw it away and get another (quality) one?

Also are the other thinks I can check? I did google the suggested "Leak off mod". But does that really go with my symtoms?
The engine starts fine- every time, except it did just die-out while running before.

Thanks everyone for helping
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby vanfox » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Does your engine have a lift pump? If so have you checked it?
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby stieevo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 pm

@vanvox: i dont know, but i did not see one.
I am thinking to loosen the pipe going to the injection and fit a little pump to see if filter is clogged or if I draw air. But I am not sure how much resistance the whole piping and filter should have.
stieevo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits