*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Timing belt

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Timing belt

Postby Keef » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Don't over tighten the tensioner bolt, it goes into an aluminium casting and can be a nightmare if you strip the thread.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby marcodelhierro » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:17 pm

The belt is on, engine running like before, the van passed the ITV no problem.
I however now maybe understand why some people prefer the old style manual tensioner.
The automatic one I was not so excited about. Next time I will know better. I will do the job better as well.
I tightened it alright the first time, moved the engine 2 turns as recommended, re-pinned alright, but the tensioner mark was not exactly in the correct position against the plate (though now I know it would have been just fine if I had left it like that) - 1-2 mm out of the correct position, I thought I could do better - decided to repeat the procedure, but tightening the locking bolt for the second time the tensioning plate would not behave the same way, it would turn together with the bolt at certain torque thus making it difficult to keep the plate in position and lock the bolt at the same time. Finally I managed to tighten it keeping the mark in correct position but the locking plate itself is made of poor material, soft like butter, the hex hole rounded off as I tried to keep the plate in position while tightening the locking bolt...
The old tensioner also automatic looked much better made, Dayco it was, and later I've seen a Continental tensioner which looked the best...
Also the old tensioner was tightened much more, it required full effort to crack it, the new tensioner I was unable to tighten that much, so I stayed a bit worried - could the tensioner bolt loosen at some point :shock: if the torque applied on the locking bolt would not be sufficient? it is improbable, I know, and it didnt so far, but you see...
I managed to tighten it "wrist tight" with a 17mm wrench.
It maybe interesting to note that the old belt actually looked all fine, no cracks or signs of wear after 7 years of use... It would be actually hard to tell which one was the old one and the new one...

I am happy though to see the van back on the road again...
Thanks for your support, without you it would be much more difficult for me to do it.
1994 LWB high mk4 with 1999 2.5Di engine
marcodelhierro
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rick blue » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:10 am

Great information on here, hope this can help. I have just done a Timing belt replacement on my 2000 Transit, Air Con, Turbo. Managed to do the job without removing the radiators. I lifted the front panel/radiators off the rubber mounts and swung the entire assembly from right to left like a door, wedged it with a bit of wood and it gave me enough access, though a bit tight, to do the job. Just be careful hoses are not damaged on the left side. Only hose I undid was the top radiator hose at the engine end. :D
rick blue
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits