*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Strut top rust/welding

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Strut top rust/welding

Postby sportscott » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 pm

A little look at the cheap plasma cutter and the bit of cutting I done this morning, it was only a couldn't care less and as quick as I could because it was raining and needed to close the hole in the skylight, but an insight into the what you can expect it to do, the second half of the long cut is almost perfect and the rounded corners I done free hand. I think the newer cutters have pilot arc for the same price I paid but haven't really missed it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Strut top rust/welding

Postby knoba » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Happy hunting (good luck) with it!

Just finished the front end on mine. O/s & n/s inner wings corroded where they meet the strut top mounts. This, caused by corroded bulkhead at the seam where the inner wing meets them (rear of battery tray area). This, caused by 2 cracks in the bulkhead (on the apex of the inner wing bend before it returns down to the main chassis rails). I'm undecided how and why this happened... Bulkhead to inner wings got seam welded. I reworked the scuttle trap with captivated nuts. Also, while the dash was out and bulkhead stripped it was re-spayed inside & out and engine bay sound proofing was replaced. Every through bulkhead item got gaskets. Boiled linseed oil wash for all the cavities I can't spray.

Water in cab & rot chasing continues...
knoba
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits