*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cleaning the engine bay, what to cover and what not to do?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Cleaning the engine bay, what to cover and what not to do?

Postby eresseraca » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:51 pm

So, from the beginning... I had a squealing fan belt annoy me this spring, 1998 van with a 2.5TD (100ps) engine. Found out the belt was a tad too loose compared to what the TIS disc said. Tightened it and used some CRC Belt Grip and it's been acceptable during the last months but starts to squeal again lately. I went to get a new one and was about to change it the other week when I realised that I will need to loosen the power steering belt to change the fan belt. So I'm gonna go ahead and get a new power steering belt before doing anything, might as well swap them both out at the same time.

Another problem... I do have a minor oil leak somewhere, have been checking the oil frequently and it's all good so far but tiny amounts seeping out somewhere collecting in a small cavity on the left side of the engine (looking from the front of the van). So while I'm at changing the belts I'm thinking I'll do a proper engine bay cleaning at the same time, also easier to identify where the oil might be coming from afterwards and how much and how critical it might be (Pretty sure the engine bay hasn't been cleaned on this one before, apart from me doing some light clean up when I got it).

What to cover and what to think about? My plan is the following, does it sound okay or something missing when it comes to my technique or to covering up sensitive areas?

1. Remove batteries (have two of them) and brush and vaccuum dry dust out
2. Cover the center part of the engine bay (engine itself) with a garbage bag
3. Spray degreaser and use low pressure water hose to rinse the sides, battery compartments, underside of hood, back firewall and the front radiator, fan blade area getting all dust and insects out of there.
4. Ditch the plastic bag covering the engine. Cover the alternator, fuse boxes, relays separately with smaller plastic bags (have some extra connection boxes/stuff in engine bay as it's a former fire dept. van)
5. Alternate spraying with degreaser/soap mixture and a clear water spray bottle while scrubbing away and drying as I go. NOT rinsing the center part with the low pressure hose at all.
6. Maybe use a handheld steam cleaner to get the most stubborn dirt gone from the engine and center part of the bay if needed.

You think it'll start afterwards? :mrgreen:
eresseraca

Re: Cleaning the engine bay, what to cover and what not to d

Postby DodgeRover » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:16 am

Soak all oily parts with degreaser, scrubbing it in if needed. Cover electrics with plastic bag. Wash off with pressure washer being sure not to point it directly into anything electric including connections to the injector pump.
Once you have finished and it's dripped dry for a while spray to electrical connections with WD40 or similar.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gotgcoalman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:25 pm

as above.
just make sure electrics are covered and get busy with the pressure washer :D

It definatly wont start after though. :(

step 7. put the batteries back on :lol: :lol:
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby eresseraca » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Ahahah :lol: not to forget those batteries!

Okay, so pressure washer is all okay then as long as it's not pointed at the wrong parts and the electronics are covered.

Thx guys, will pick a nice sunny day and get going with this then :mrgreen:
eresseraca

Postby eresseraca » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 am

I did the belt changes and decided to just do a light degrease in a spray bottle and rags cleaning at this point. Still got it nice and clean and winter is coming anyways with all the crud and slush that brings. Might do a big cleaning in the spring instead.

So looking much nicer at this point and I cleaned all the oil that leaks from somwhere(?). Since then I've done around 600km (500km of that a long distance at mostly 80-100km/h) and the trace from a leak is there again. It looks like it leaks and almost sprays around in the top of the engine somewhere, as it makes a mess on the orange connector then drips down and finds it way behind the diesel pump and gather down below in a little pool (3cm diameter) so not much coming out and the oil still is at okay levels. So seems like a little seeps out over time.

Any ideas where and what to start looking at, tightening bolts, replacing gasket etc?

Engine01.jpg
Oil01.jpg
Oil02.jpg
Oil03.jpg
Oil04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eresseraca

Postby AndyG » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:40 am

Most likely place is the spindle/shaft of the vacuum operated throttle flap :|
It's the oil mist from the turbo (normal). So you'll not notice any oil loss on the dipstick.
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby eresseraca » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks AndyG!

So this part right, which is right next to the EGR valve would be the first to inspect closer. If so seeping out right from that shaft/spindle? If so any idea/tips on how to fix it or am I looking at replacing the part? if that's the source of the leak that is.

Good to know that the mist comes from the turbo and isn't anything to worry about 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eresseraca

Postby AndyG » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Yes, that's the part.
Just run your finger under the back of the spindle and see if it's wet.
Not bothered to deal with mine just yet, as not on the road.
I would imagine a rebush would be required, or if you don't mind a bit of induction roar, remove spindle/flap assy. and plug it :idea:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby eresseraca » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 am

Wasn't home last week but now back and popped the hood to inspect it.

The van hasn't been used last week and I wasn't going anywhere today but a photo shows that you seem to be correct about where it's seeping out :? Cleaned it up a bit and will inspect again after next drive, but... hmm, how bad is this? Minor thing, big thing, should I look into fixing it asap?

Would it be possible to try to source that "spring thing" as from looking at it that's where it seems to be leaking. If possible to get as a separate part? Looks like it's bolted with two smaller bolts to the throttle body. So loosen those, and loosen the shaft from the actuator (correct term?) and replace spring part/module and refit.
eresseraca

Postby eresseraca » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:15 am

...or if you don't mind a bit of induction roar, remove spindle/flap assy. and plug it :idea:

If so, how much more noise, clearly noticeable in the cab and annoying on high ways or really only more roar when stepping on the gas?

Any other positive/negative effects to take into consideration?

If I'd remove it, would I unscrew the whole assembly and blank that hole as well as the hose, see pics.

...as I guess tying it up with a zip tie as described in here (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3968) in the open position won't help if there's oil coming from somewhere. Or would the oil leak possibly be stopped but disconnecting spindle as it would stop moving, opening and closing?

EDIT!
I turned up the pump, removed the butteryfly, got fed up with the increased noise and put butterfly back on!

Found this in the thread linked above and I'm the kind that doesn't like noise. So I will most likely prefer it with the flap in place, so more interested in just stopping the leak and leaving the flap working!
eresseraca

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits