*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Petrol cat require your experience

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Petrol cat require your experience

Postby halla » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am

Where is the best place for a new catalytic converter for my 2.0 dohc.

eBay ones, look cheap enough but last time it choked the engine. I had to d-cat.
Ford ones are great but 350 quid.

my previous cats have be ford originals, one from a tourneo mk5. One from a scrapper, he said he got it from quick fit. It worked well!

Anyone got the answer to this one, maybe the mk6 guys know.
Thanks in advance
Ian
halla
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Petrol cat require your experience

Postby DodgeRover » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:03 pm

If you have lpg fitted then you no longer require a cat. ECP ones have a shocking reputation if that helps at all.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madmart132 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Dodgerover is correct not needed for some reason
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sportscott » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 pm

the best Cat is one from a 2.0 litre Vectra if you can get somebody to weld it for you, all you need to do is turn it on it's side, your down pipe will fit nicely inside it and weld a flexi on the back, I have one here but damaged the threads for the O2 sensor and bought a really crappy aftermarket one for over 300 quid that's already kaputte. I could get 162kmh with the Vectra Cat and aftermarket only 155kmh
Transit the everyday mans van....
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:54 pm

madmart132 wrote:Dodgerover is correct not needed for some reason

Not sure about UK but in Holland you need it because the Car won't run only on lpg it fires up on Petrol before switching over.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:24 pm

My Vectra Cat conversion, when I get time will put it back under.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DodgeRover » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:40 pm

sportscott wrote:

Not sure about UK but in Holland you need it because the Car won't run only on lpg it fires up on Petrol before switching over.

For the price of a new cat I think I would be going straight gas and ditching the petrol system assuming you don't go anywhere lpg is unavailable?
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sportscott » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:14 pm

DodgeRover wrote:
sportscott wrote:

For the price of a new cat I think I would be going straight gas and ditching the petrol system assuming you don't go anywhere lpg is unavailable?

I depends what kind of gas installation you have, if you have a single point mixer you definately need the petrol to heat up the water otherwise your reductor will freeze from the gas release, but saying that I had a Citroen BX that I could start winter in the Alps in Ausria without starting on petrol from cold. I wouldn't want to dump the Petrol as always is a back up, with a Vialle lpi it will work or it won't work. it won't work badly and usually the pump fails. That's why I like to have two tanks as have two pumps aswell, and there is no way possible I could dump the petrol as my installation is coupled to the ecu and takes it's initial parameters from the petrol. Whether the UK is in the EU or out, even if Mrs Maybe gets your Brexit, nothing will change and with Global BS would still need a Cat in the future. I knew years ago that the knives were out for Diesels as worked in a company that had a global monopoly on adblue quality sensors, Adblue is a trademark from a German company AG and the motor industry in all sectors use these sensors to stop you going down the chemist and buying some Urea and distilled water and making your own exhaust fluid, you will never get it exact. In a lot of european cities you cannot enter without a Cat vignet in the window.
sportscott
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits